Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion

More
20 Feb 2011 00:06 #19316 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Ken Dunshire's convertible is a very cool car. It would be great to have it at the meet. Perhaps you could get one of the other convertibles?

It's probably heresy but I would open to a having a skylark/hollywood class in the club.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2011 00:27 #19317 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic:
Hi,

I sympathize with Ken Dunshire's likely disaffection with the Reunion. I recall that perhaps two decades ago a brillliantly, albeit severely, modified Cord 810/812 came to the meet and was in the Park until club officials told the owner that his modified Cord was not welcome.

I thought that was wrong then (and said so), and I still think so today. Wherever his State of Origin was, that state titled that car as a Cord, and it should have been welcomed like any other.

And Alsancle, I think having Hollywoods and Skylarks as a division of the ACD Cllub is a good idea. They are more "Cordish" than our club replicars, and their owners certainly have tales to tell. They are unquestionably part of ACD history and lore. As for these cars fitting in with the Club's stated purpose, well, a lot of "original" Cords may be running around with Skylark/Hollywood fenders, doors, and other restoration/preservation parts on them.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
20 Feb 2011 19:58 #19327 by alsancle
Are you looking for restored cars or otherwise? The other known Hollywood Conv is in Massachusetts but is in a state of disrepair. It does not run. Of course, since it has not been seen in public in about 60 years it might be an interesting display!

More
21 Feb 2011 01:01 #19328 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi Alsancle,

Well, MY Cord has not run for 61 years, and weather permitting I still bring it to Auburn every year. People seem to like to see it.

I'd be [i:12c6ychn]thrilled[/i:12c6ychn] to see the other Hollywood convertible--regardless of condition and restoration status.

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

More
21 Feb 2011 02:39 #19333 by alsancle
Hi Tom,

I too enjoy seeing unrestored cars or older restorations. Do you bring it on an open trailer? How do you get it on the field? A non-running car presents a number of logistical problems for sure.

A.J.

More
21 Feb 2011 04:18 #19338 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi Alsancle,

The Cord and I arrive nearly every year at Auburn with me driving a company pickup or van and the Cord riding on an open trailer. The Cord being on an open trailer is what makes my annual adventure weather-dependent.

In the past, when all 810/812 Cords were parked beyond the bridge, the truck-and-trailer combo occasionally grounded out at the jack-stand but always dragged through OK. Now there is a special class for trailered ACD vehicles of all makes, and getting to that reserved location on the shy side of the bridge is no problem.

In at least two past years, trailered ACD vehicles were relegated to locations outside of the park. I, and others, had pretty strong feelings about this. The Board of Directors took heed, and more importantly, took [i:389yu6xd]action.[/i:389yu6xd] To my thinking, one of the great steps forward for the Reunion (and for the lasting credibility of the BOD) was the creation of the trailered vehicle class to be located IN the park. The logistics were not trivial--a lot of things had to be dealt with in order to develop protocols for dealing with trailers--but our Board came through with flying colors.

For those of us whose ACD's are not running, being in the park with our cars fulfills the promise of full club membership.

--Tom

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds