Skip to main content

Help ID this chassis...

• streamliner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2011 16:55 #19394 by streamliner
Replied by streamliner on topic Help ID this chassis...
After years and years of searching for the answers to this photo, your questions took me in a completely different direction. I had never thought this was three cylinders, nor did I suspect the special drive to the wheels was the key. I spent hours on Google Patents looking at different FWD, RWD, rear- and front-engined configurations from the 1920?s and 1930?s. I was about to give up, thinking this was yet another dead end, but here it is:

It looks like Otto Szekely was a prolific inventor and industrial designer from the 1920?s through the 1950?s. During this time he patented various differentials and transmissions (including variable speed units). He also did an airplane, The Flying Dutchman, and supplied its 3-cylinder engine to the aircraft industry. He and his firm, O. E. Szekely and Associates, did the little 3-wheeled Jeep tugs that evidently were common on aircraft carriers during the 1950?s.

This particular patent was filed on February 28, 1936 and issued December 21, 1937, while Szekely was living in Elmira, New York. What subsequently happened with the concept, I have no idea. Incidentally, Alex Tremulis? rear-engined bubbletop was also drawn up in February, 1936:

I don?t know whether or not there?s any connection there, but at least there?s a whole new avenue to pursue. There must be a good reason why Alex Tremulis had these original studio photos in his collection. He often incorporated state-of-the-art technologies in his concepts.

A big THANK YOU to all for adding a new perspective to a puzzling photo and getting an old mind to look outside the box (or box frame)!

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2011 05:21 #19392 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Help ID this chassis...
When did they start using tower hose clamps? If it wasn't for the battery I would say it is newer than every one thinks. Tower hose clamps were used in the 60's but I don't now when they started being used.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2011 16:57 #19390 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Help ID this chassis...
Tim,

It looks to be a portal axle. I didn't know they existed that far back. Today they are used primarily to increase ground clearance.

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2011 16:46 #19389 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic what is it?
With the differential not in line with the wheels, how does power transfer to the wheels?

• streamliner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2011 15:02 #19387 by streamliner
I've been over the photos with a microscope and cannot tell whether it's 3, 4 or 5 cylinders.

I can't find anything like it anywhere. I also thought it may have been a Briggs project or John Tjaarda-related, so I sent the pix to Tom Tjaarda, but haven't yet had a reply.

Maybe it's front-engined, FWD with rear wheel steering???

The photo is embossed with "PERSONIUS EL MIRA". George Personius was in the photo business from the late 1800's and is still in business today in New York. No help yet from the studio. The second photo has the background removed, so it must have been contemplated for a brochure or prospectus. It looks to be a work in progress, as it's not hooked up yet. There's no markings I can find or logos on the individual parts, but they do look unique:

www.gyronautx1.com

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2011 02:26 #19362 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Help ID this chassis...
It is not A C D. is it three or four cyl.? And I do have the Auburn exp drawings and nothing like this. Randy

• John Baeke
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2011 18:07 #19343 by John Baeke
Replied by John Baeke on topic Rear engine Duesy?
A few years back I spent some time in the Detroit Public Library, Automotive Collection. I was going through hundreds of automotive trade publications looking for anything dealing with the LeBaron prototypes. Going through these magazines made me feel like I had ADD. It was nearly impossible to stay focused on the project at hand. Every page shows another really cool automotive topic. One of the things I did stumble on was an article (without illustrations) about a Duesy rear-engined car being developed. As it was not what I was searching for, I did not copy it. I mentioned it to Jon Bill (ACD Museum archivist) who I think was aware of it.

Also, the frame you show has quarter eliptic springs. Not sure if any other passenger car manufacturer than ACD ever used them????

John Baeke

• streamliner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 23:51 #19311 by streamliner
Does anyone know if there were any rear-engine plans for any of the A-C-D cars? Here's another photo of a rendering dated 1937. Alex Tremulis would have been at A-C-D at this time, and those look to be A-C-D side pipes and trim.

Anyone have any ideas?

www.gyronautx1.com

• streamliner
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2011 06:55 #19155 by streamliner
Help ID this chassis... was created by streamliner
Another mystery that I think is ACD-related.

Just what is this? Rear-engine, RWD? And the engine?!? X-4 or radial 5? Anybody have a clue what this was intended for?

www.gyronautx1.com