Help ID this car...

• streamliner
  • streamliner's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Feb 2011 03:15 #19150 by streamliner
streamliner created the topic: Help ID this car...
Does anyone have any ideas as to what car this is, who this is, or have any information on it???

Thanks!

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Feb 2011 03:28 #19151 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: ID THIS CAR INQUIRY
STREAMLINER:

I BELIEVE THIS IS A CUSTOM BODIED CORD CONVERTIBLE COUPE,
CONSTRUCTED BY LeBARON. SEE PAGE 185 OF THE ORIGINAL JOSH
MALKS CORD RESEARCH BOOK "CORD 810/812 - THE TIMELESS CLASSIC", KRAUSE PUBLICATION, 1995. PERHAPS MR. MALK'S NEW
CORD BOOK HAS ADDITIONAL DATA ON THIS CAR BEYOND THAT HE
GIVES AT THE REFERENCED PAGE ABOVE. Jonathan (Jack) Richards
at Red Oak, Iowa aka <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

• streamliner
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Feb 2011 05:12 #19153 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic:
That makes perfect sense. These photos came from deep within the archives of Alex Tremulis. Any idea how many were made or if this one still exists?

Here's his illustration identified as the grill for the Cord limo that he did for LeBaron. Except for the eggcrate, it's about the same. I'll have to get the book!

www.gyronautx1.com

• streamliner
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
05 Feb 2011 05:41 #19154 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic: Help ID this car...
OK, now you've got me digging. Here's a pic Alex got from Bill Kinsman in 1966 of one of the "monstrosities" from the lost Connersville mockups.

Did LeBaron just execute the bodywork and send the pieces to Connersville, or are the mockup photos independent of LeBaron?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the history, but there must be an interesting story in this puzzle...

www.gyronautx1.com

More
05 Feb 2011 14:08 #19156 by John Baeke
John Baeke replied the topic:
The cars in question are the LeBaron prototypes for the new 1938 Duesenbergs. There were 5 built. A Limo; a Berline (presently owned by National Automotive Museum), a fastback sedan; a Phaeton (last seen circa 1960 back east) and the cabriolet shown above (which I own). The cars were originally penned by Gordon Buehrig with some contribution by Herb Newport and Phil Wright (at LeBaron in Detroit). The cars were to have been powered by surplus V-12 Lycoming engines (optionally supercharged). Dyno data shows at least one was so powered. The project was shelved in 1936. Alex Tremulis was hired Dec., 1936. The first assignment given by him by E.L. was to dust off the LeBarons. Even using the surplus V-12 was then deemed too expensive and Tremulis (along with Davidson) were instructed to amputate the front of the LeBaron prototypes and graft on Cord stub frames with FWD power. That is what they did. The cars were completed later that year. I have notes from Alex as well as hand-written notes and tape recordings my father and I made with Alex. Alex describes what he did to the LeBarons as like "painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa". "I should have left them alone". Just before control of Cord corp was turned over to L. B. Manning, E. L. conscripted the Berline and sent it to his wife, Virginia at Cord Haven where for the next 4 years she called it her limousine (even though it was NOT the limo, rather the Berline). Manning (who no one ever accused of being a true car-guy) conscripted the cabriolet (which I have). So these cars are not Cords (as legend has it) rather Prototype Duesenbergs.

I would absolutely love to hear from Streamliner about the Tremulis archives. I went through them in the 1980s, but do not recall seeing something like the radiator he shows. Randy Emma told me the archives all ended up at the Henry Ford Museum. PLEASE CALL ME.

The fascinating story of the LeBaron prototypes was written up in much greater detail in the 2009 ACD annual book, The Reunion. It contains archival documents, photos and detailed bibliography. I strongly suggest anyone with interest should support our fair club by purchasing a copy. Send $35 (Check payable to ACD Club) to either myself or ACD retail manager Justin Kerns. Both of our addresses are in the ACD Directory.

Cordially,
John Baeke
cell 913-406-2262

John Baeke

More
05 Feb 2011 14:46 #19157 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
John

Any chance we could see some recent pictures of your conv coupe?

thanks,

A.J.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds