• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
25 Nov 2010 04:09 #18534 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Chris:
If you can somehow find a way to scan and post this article about Sam and his Wrecking scrapyard I , and I am sure others here, would love to see it !

It was guys like Sam Adelman, Jim Hoe, "Austie" Clarke, and Jerry Gebby, and,Barney Pollard, who saved many of these great Classic autos we all still have surviving to enjoy today from the crushers.
These early collectors, restorers should all be remembered by us today.
We owe them a great debt !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2010 17:31 #18535 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
Another name to add to the list, familiar to left coasters: Mike McManus

More
27 Nov 2010 05:01 #18546 by Ohio AMX
Ohio AMX replied the topic:
I remember Barney Pollard being profiled in Cars & Parts magazine back in the '70s.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 Nov 2010 05:15 #18547 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Mike McManus traded at least two Duesenbergs and parts of another.

Then there's D. Cameron Peck and two of my heroes, James Melton and Bill Harrah. None of the three dealers, but like Austie Clark, they recognized what they were saving and restoring long before anyone else did.

Melton's daughter, Margo Melton Nutt, writes a wonderful blog that shares stories about her father - both his musical career and his cars. He was quite a personality and it's a shame so few "car guys" remember him today. He was, also, a customer in good standing at Sam Adelman's.

http://jamesmeltonmusicalcareerantiquec ... gspot.com/

For the best effect, play this while reading the above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAePgjoRnQM

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2010 05:20 #18548 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
I have heard that some of Barney Pollard's family members are still selling-off some of his hoard from time to time still to this very day ? He once had over 1200 autos in storage. Many were stored vertically and hung from the roof rafters !
A number of years back I heard of a curved dash Olds being bought by an AACA official out of his last remaining & almost full building.

Has anyone also heard about any other Pollard cars selling in the last few years ?
Have any more seen the light of day !

I will never forget attending the old A K Miller auction !
Did any ACD Forum members here attend ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 Nov 2010 05:27 #18549 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:

silverghost wrote: I have heard that some of Barney Pollard's family members are still selling-off some of his hoard from time to time still to this very day ? He once had over 1200 autos in storage. Many were stored vertically and hung from the roof rafters !
A number of years back I heard of a curved dash Olds being bought by an AACA official out of his last remaining & almost full building.

Has anyone also heard about any other Pollard cars selling in the last few years ?
Have any more seen the light of day !

I will never forget attending the old A K Miller auction !
Did any ACD Forum members here attend ?

The Pollards sold a few cars through an RM auction earlier this decade - a Springfield Rolls-Royce Warwick sedan, a later Mercer touring, and a Locomobile once owned by President Harding come to mind. As with many of the names mentioned, a lot of the cars Pollard owned in the 1950s are today's show-winners.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds