Sam Adelman's N.Y. Full Classic Junkyard

More
02 Jun 2013 15:33 #25317 by memaerobilia
memaerobilia replied the topic:
Couple of things Brad;

Sorry to hear that you have found it so difficult/impossible to get past the point of grief, where our memories of Dad and others are almost all GOOD memories that make remembering/thinking of them, an enjoyable situation. After working side-by-side with MY Dad for 20 years, (working on vintage aircraft and vintage race cars) just the two of us, It certainly took ME a GOOD while to go from devastating, overwhelming sense of loss, to fond retelling and recalling of the many events in ou mutual lives. Today, I think of him and feel good. I hope you will reach that point, eventually. No two people or their Life experiences, are the same of course. I wish you peace of mind..

Secondly, I just TREASURE and appreciate all your stories. The longer and more detailed, the better. These are a fascinating history, that can not be found anywhere else. And full of such unique and interesting, and visionary characters..

Before your Last post, I had immediately thought of Mike Caruso's vintage auto salvage yard. Mike was MOST famous, (I think) for his continuous line of owning some of the best midget race cars, before and after the war. They were constantly successful, of the best quality, and had some of the best and winningest drivers, with the quality involved. My Dad knew Mike pretty well. My Dad built a LOT of early midgets. Most vivid memory I have of the Dad/Caruso tales was his story of how they cut a straight 8 Bugatti engine in half, to try in a Midget race car. Mike used the rear half, which easily adapted to a transmission/gearbox set up. Dad was faced with using the Front half, and it was quite a challenge to get it "hooked up."
I know that his half of the Bugatti engine still exists today.
We also enjoyed many aftenoon, digging through the rusty, mountainous piles of parts in Austie's deteriorationg outer storage buildings, In Southampton. Piles of junk, with the occassional "WOW" treasure, (Found the Hubs, spindles and Knock-off caps Marked for Jimmy Murphys race car. :D) Like mining for gold, sometimes :D

Keep those stories coming please.

Joe G.
hundreds of our early photos or planes, racecars, customs classics @ www.memaerobilia.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
02 Jun 2013 16:19 #25318 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Hi Joe~~~

Thank's for your very kind thoughts & words on my continued grief over Dad's passing~~~
I reeally appreciate them !

Re: "Uncle Austie" ~~
Much has already been written on Henry Austin Clark in hobby publications & websites~~~
I could start a entire new thread on "Uncle Austie" with many more first hand personal observations !

Many old auto parts items in those piles of parts you spoke about in his old war surplus steel quonsit hut sheds, as well as the vast piles of parts stored outside & outback were originally "donated by my Dad !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
02 Jun 2013 23:57 #25320 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Brad, your affection for your dad is so touching. My own collection is one car -- my beloved Moonshadow -- but I am cheered by something that happened a couple of months ago. I was ill, and my two sons were visiting. I always wondered what would happen to my Cord after I go. It's willed to wife Betty, but I don't expect her to keep it in one-half of our two-car garage forever. The kids had grown up with my Cords, but never showed any great interest. Now 52 and 48, they came to me and told me that they really wanted the Cord to take care of. And they want me to teach them to drive and maintain it. After all these years!

So keep the stories coming. They are a nice admixture of personal and car-related. May you keep writing until YOU are at least 92! And may my own kids think of their dad as you do of yours.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2013 05:27 #25325 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Hello Josh~~~
I also really appreciate your kind words & thoughts about my grief over the loss of my father !

After reading Joe's post about Mike Caruso along with his scrapyard, and his midget race car history which I knew nothing about,~~~
I did a web search and found this great website about Mike Caruso and his scrapyard + his midget race car business & race team history~~~

http://www.carusomidgetracing.com/about ... -rose.html

As I remmber as a small child Mike's srapyard covered a vast area of real estate~~~Much MUCH larger in size than Sam Adelman's yard.

Enjoy~
BRAD~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
18 Nov 2013 03:40 #26298 by Son37Cord
Son37Cord replied the topic: Memories...
Mr. Hunter,

Just ran across this post. I grew up in Flint, Michigan. My Father, Don Smith, (see In Memorium) had many friends in the classics, he was a member of the ACD since 1958 according to a green card that I found.

As a kid, we would go to my Grandfather's place on Secord Res, near Standish, Michigan. We always ended up in a barn somewhere, looking at something. Sometimes he would walk away with a part, after an exchange of money, always, "this is between us."

More often though, there would be stories about how it got there and who owned it. I was a kid, 9, 10 years old.

Auburn, darn near every year, him there, me there, him pointing out things about the Auburns, Duesenbergs and his baby the Cord.

All the memories, of us crawling over all those rusted farm implements, to get to the prize, sometime a body, sometime a chassis, an engine or two, or just a heap of rusted parts. Always at the prize, that smile of his.

I am 57, it was and always will be priceless to me. As I am sure it is to you.

God Bless,

Paul D. Smith

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds