Skip to main content

A quick note on old tools, not to mention new ones...

• Dutch Jacobs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2003 21:20 #855 by Dutch Jacobs
Funny - I was told several times that SNAP ON bought out Plumb, or either that their design spec came from them.

Either way - SNAP ON wrenches and sockets have a much surer grip on fasteners than any others I have used, and when it's important to avoid rounding bolt heads I will use nothing else if I can help it. Since my Cord has bolts older than I am, and some of them unusual indeed, you can bet that once I get home with it I'll be on the lookout for the "BIG WHITE TRUCK".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2003 20:17 #852 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Speaking of Snap-On
Speaking of Snap-On ... They definately have the best calendars!

• mhaley
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Oct 2003 13:44 #850 by mhaley
Hello Dutch, Welcome back!
Snap-on manufactures most of their own products. Blue-Point is a company Snap-on bought many years ago. Blue-Point products are available through Snap-on dealers, and they are generally a less expensive line. Plumb is owned by Cooper Tools, the same company that owns Crescent, Lufkin, and others. You might be thinking of Par-X or Williams wrenches. Both were acquired by Snap-on. I started using Snap-on tools in the early eighties when I worked as a mechanic. Now I work for Snap-on and I really believe in the quality of the product.

• Dutch Jacobs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2003 02:56 #844 by Dutch Jacobs
John Fluke (multi-meters and so on...) builds quality, so does SNAP ON if it is in fact their own tool - I always lean toward SNAP ON in wrenches and sockets, but bluepoint is one of their suppliers - you can go direct there.

Chicago Pneumatics are a joy to own, and if you find anything made by PLUMB grab them - they sold their rights to SNAP ON.

Various items are generic, but watch out for unknown outfits. If they fold overnight the guarantee/warrantee is worthless!

CRAFTSMAN is good, but the heads of their wrenches and sockets are bigger than SNAP ON and the steel is not as high grade. You can't get them in as many tight spaces.

MAC is a good grade of generic wrench. (About like Craftsman)

Campbell Hausfield is generic. Not fantastic, but not likely to let you down.

There are huge numbers of companies out there that advertise that their tools are "CHROME MOLY" - and that's fine. They are still junk, and you should only buy them as "Throw Aways". Most of them are made in CHINA.

If you really want to know what tools to buy from whom, and which to skip over, you should talk to someone who works on automobiles for a living and ask them what really did work out for them in the long run. We use our tools once in a while for special projects - not all day long like they do. If you want what lasts - ASK THE PRO's, no matter how good or bad they are.

They do nothing but work their wrenches all day long five days a week! It's worth a beer or two to find out what they really think....

PS(on edit): For all intents and purposes SNAP ON is PLUMB nowadays, but if you can find a set of tools that says "PLUMB" on it - keep in mind that they are collectors items....