Engine Oil

• mikespeed35
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2006 03:18 #5415 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Oil
I found a less expensive place to buy VR-1. Autozone. I paid 4.00 at NAPA, its 2.79 at Autozone.
CORDially

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2006 21:07 #5413 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic dead dinosaur juice
Zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate is a wonderful anti-wear anti-corrosive and anti oxidant additive with properties that would prevent wear in high-rev and pressure-temperature situations, possibly a blown car going full out, but in a parade line, any good commercial crude oil formulation should provide efficient lubrication at reasonable temperatures.
Did not the no detergent, additive free prewar oils form lubricating sludges that upon depositing residual hydrocarbons on lifters and cranks and would further protect the soft lead alloy crank babbitt bearings at starting, after all, the thin hot oil had drained to the bottom of the oil pan. hence the cars lasted forever and now we still share them? Crankcase bypass draft tubes venting organic compounds to the atmosphere did not help in controlling the oily vapors released.
Newer cars with EGR systems and a greater heat load could benefit from the oils but it is like buying gasoline, why buy premium when it runs fine with regular. ZDDP is nasty to the environment and clogs oil filters and catalytic converters.
The debate of environment verses additives continues at this link -- quote, It is the oil that lubricates, not the additives.
www.baileycar.com/oil_additives_html.htm
www.baileycar.com/oil_overview_html.htm

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2006 14:28 #5411 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Engine Oil
The article from the publication of the Silver Ghost Association that appeared in our Newsletter (2004-6) recommended Shell Rotella T (used primarily in Diesel trucks) for this very reason. That's what I use. Mike is right that diesel oils will reduce ZDDP in 2007. It should be pointed out that Cord 810/812s and Auburn V-12 [i:2tdqc358]do[/i:2tdqc358] have roller lifters.

There will be an article in issue 2006-10 comparing ZDDP in various oils. In additional to Valvoline, Quaker State makes a racing oil with a high ZDDP content.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• mikespeed35
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2006 02:55 #5405 by mikespeed35
Engine Oil was created by mikespeed35
The newest API designation for oil is SM. This oil has had a big reduction in ZDDP which is a additive to prevent scuffing and wear if metal to metal contact should it happened in your engine. The ZDDP was taken out because it harms catalytic converters. Most modern engines have roller rocker arms and are not as susceptible to its loss but our old engines have solid lifters and the lack of ZDDP can be a problem. A new engine should not be broken in on API SM oil because it fails to lubricate the camshaft properly. I contacted Valvoline about this problem and they told me that there VR-1 Racing oil and there Diesel oil have not had the ZDDP removed and that is what I should use in my old iron. But the diesel oil is being reformulated in model year 2007 so I went with the VR-1 racing oil. It is available at NAPA and I paid about 4.00 per Quart. this is not an add. for Valvoline it's just what I use. I'm sure all the major oil Co. have similar oil with ZDDP. When I talked to the local parts stores that sell oil they had no idea what I was talking about . You will need to talk to the manufacterer about your particular Brand. CORDially

Mike Huffman