What's parked next to your ACD car?

More
19 May 2006 01:09 #4837 by AceCollins
AceCollins replied the topic:
Michael,

Can you share with us what the GT40 drives like? I sat in one, but have never ridden in one of them, much less driven one. Love you cars, makes my stable look pretty shabby.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 May 2006 13:22 #4840 by MICHAEL S SMITH
MICHAEL S SMITH replied the topic: IN MY GARAGE
67cat
ACD Club Member

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:09 pm Post subject:

Michael,

Can you share with us what the GT40 drives like? I sat in one, but have never ridden in one of them, much less driven one. Love you cars, makes my stable look pretty shabby.

I ALWAYS WANTED A WORLD CLASS SUPERCAR, BUT WAS AFRAID I'D END UP PUTTING SOME GUY NAMED QIUDO'S CHILDREN THROUGH COLLEGE JUST TO KEEP IT RUNNING(UNLIKE A CORD, WHICH AFTER 20 YEARS OF CUSSING AND MAKING REALLY STUPID MISTAKES I CAN NOW SAY I UNDERSTAND ENOUGH TO REALLY SCREW UP AT A MOMENTS NOTICE).

THE GT HAS THE SAME MODULAR 5.7 BLOCK IN IT I HAD IN MY LIGHTNING PICKUP TRUCK WITH MONSTER HEADS AND A BIGGER BOWER, IT PUTS OUT 550HP.

THE CLUTCH IS LIGHT AND IT DRIVES LIKE A KITTEN, UNTIL YOU PUT YOUR FOOT IN IT, THEN THINGS HAPPEN IN A BIG FREAKING HURRY.
ITS LIKE FLIPPING AN ELECTRIC SWITCH FOR ROCKET BOOSTERS.

IT HAS HUGE BREMBO DISCS THAT STOP IT LIKE TROWING OUT THE QUEEN MARYS ANCHOR, AND HANDLES LIKE A GO CART ON MASSIVE STEROIDS.

THE ONLY MINUS IS THAT IF YOU WERE HEAVY, OR OVER SAY 6'2" YOU'D PROBABLY BE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. ALSO THE DARN THING WAS SO EXPENSIVE, THAT I DON'T DRIVE NEAR AS MUCH AS I'D LIKE TO, BECAUSE I'M PRAYING THAT EVENTUALLY THEY COME BACK UP IN PRICE TO WHERE I DON'T FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL FOR BUYING IT ORIGINALLY.

ALL IN ALL, IF I EVER HAD TO GIVE UP SEX(GOD FORBID) IT WOULD BE AN ACCEPTABLE REPLACEMENT.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

More
19 May 2006 13:29 #4841 by AceCollins
The closest thing I have had to that experience, and it is a very low rent version, was my SVT Mustang Cobra ragtop. Thanks for sharing. Now, I am going to take my 34 Auburn to the post office and bank and come back to my office spend a few hours making enough money to fill up one of my car's gas tanks!

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 May 2006 13:45 #4842 by MICHAEL S SMITH
MICHAEL S SMITH replied the topic: AUBURN SIX DRIVING
CAT67

I CURRENTLY HAVE A 851 PHAETON THAT IS AS GOOD A DRIVER AS ANY, AND HAVING HAD A 654 CABRIOLET( NOW BOB BUTLER'S CAR, THAT HE HAS DRIVEN MANY TIMES ON ACD TOUR) I'LL TELL YOU ONE THING, IT'S A SHAME SO MANY SIXES WERE CANIBALIZED TO PUT EIGHTS BACK ON THE ROAD, OR TURN EIGHT SEDANS INTO MORE DESIRABLE OPEN CARS BECAUSE A GOOD SIX IS ONE OF THE SWEETEST DRIVING CARS YOU'LL EVER HAVE. SO COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, AND LAUGH BEHIND THEIR BACKS WHEN ANYBODY SAY'S "BUT ITS NOT A FULL CLASSIC", BECAUSE AN AUBURN SIX IS ONE OF THE MOST UNDERATED CARS IN THE WORLD IN MY SOMETIMES NOT SO HUMMBLE OPINION.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

More
19 May 2006 13:54 #4843 by AceCollins
Mike,

Not only is the six a wonderful driving car, but I think the lines on the 34 are better with the shorter hood. My 36 Cord drives very well too, so much so it feels like a modern car. Now my 37 Zephyr purrs like a kitten, but the mechanical brakes make it a scary car at times. In the old Lincoln's defense, it rides very well and the styling, for a sedan, is very nice. It has great lines

Spent many years starving to death as a writer and living on my wife's teaching salary. Debts are all paid back, the royalties are solid now, so starting to build a bit of a life and tasting a few dreams. The Auburn and Cord are dreams. Always wanted ACD cars, always admired them, but spent many years playing with 20s, 30s, and 50s Fords until I could afford to get into the ACD game (even had a 17 T). Now the only old Ford I own is my 65 Fastback, which I will keep.

Finally, so sorry to read about your wife. I have been married 30 years and can't not imagine life without Kathy.

• AuburnAutoCo
  • AuburnAutoCo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2006 15:49 #4844 by AuburnAutoCo
AuburnAutoCo replied the topic:
:(

Mentioning Bob Butler... he passed away on May 7. It was tough seeing the Auburn in the funeral procession without Bob behind the wheel. Obituary info has been submitted for inclusion in Club Newsletter.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds