Skip to main content

Turning INDY Duesy Plant into Nat'l Historic Site!

• Fred Harris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2005 04:01 #3061 by Fred Harris
Replied by Fred Harris on topic Turning INDY Duesy Plant into Nat'l Historic Site!
Thanks Josh! Another member was kind enough to provide his phone number, so I will call him tomorrow. Additionally, there is starting to be interest shown by the Gov.'s Office and Indy's Mayors office in this project for a whole lot of reasons too lengthy to detail here, but part of which was obtaining a Duesenberg for display on the day of rededication. (As this is starting to take on life, I see invitations being sent to woners etc around the country to participate in that rededication in some way). Anyway, this whole thing continues to perk along on one positive note after another. More later. FRED

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2005 14:22 #3060 by Josh Malks
Randy Ema is an eminent restorer specializing in Duesenbergs. He is also a well-known historian, and has an extensive coilection. The first step in your project ought to be contacting him.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Fred Harris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2005 12:49 #3059 by Fred Harris
Replied by Fred Harris on topic Turning INDY Duesy Plant into Nat'l Historic Site!
Hello again Josh! I checked the membership list, and of course between the "screen names" and internet IDs, I couldn't find Randy Ema. Due to your experience with and understanding of the resources available on this site, do you have any idea how I might contact him?
Thank you
FRED

(Oh another small piece of trivia; one of the reasons my Grandfather worked at the plant and for Fred and Augie, was our two family's ties back to Germany. Their family and mine were associated in the same area in Germany and we both had family coming to America at about the same time [Just trivia], but interesting to us.

FRED

• Fred Harris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2005 12:29 #3058 by Fred Harris
No, I have not contacted Randy Ema. As a new member Imust ask who Randy Ema is? (I'll check the membership roster - maybe that will help) Thank you for your support and interest.
FRED

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2005 03:56 #3057 by Josh Malks
The misnamed Newsletter is our monthly magazine. (Been called that since it really was a 2-page mimeographed newsletter in 1952.) You should get your first one soon. That will give you a sense of what we look for.

Have you asked Randy Ema about Duesenberg factory photos?

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Fred Harris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2005 01:52 #3056 by Fred Harris
Hello Josh! Since I'm new to the ACDC, how do I get this Newsletter? As to contributing the components for a possible article; I am currently frantically trying to find a picture of the plant showing the name painted on the front. All we have at this point are some 80+ year old reamining outlines that are clearly the name, but we can't tell the lettering style. I am currently searching Indiana Historical Photos for same, but maybe somehow the word can get out in stages to the members as we progress thru this process. The thing is starting to build, and I sense the actual re-dedication will be quite special. (All I have to do is land a car for short term display that day!!!!) Thanks again, FRED

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2005 13:43 #3050 by Josh Malks
Hi Fred.

Our print Newsletter reaches most of our members, and this sounds like a project that they might want to support. Send me as much info as you can, including current photos, and we'll get you some print space. Keep us posted of ongoing progress, too.

Thanks for your efforts.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• Fred Harris
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2005 22:03 #3047 by Fred Harris
Hello all! This is my first note as a new member. What I wanted to do was leave a note for comment, etc., is that we are currently working on a project to re-dedicate the former "D" factory at Washington & Harding here in INDY into an official hisoric site and have the building rededicated with the original sign on the Washington St top of the building where it used to be, and include a galleria type facility inside with "gobs" of old pictures of the people and things that made this car so fantastic! The current owners of the building INDYGO are starting to be involved so it looks like it just may fly. A few years ago as I picked up a brick from the fire caused still smoldering walls of the ""D" Race Shop across Washington Street ,(where my Grandad worked part of the time so I could have a tangibile memory of touching what he had touched), I thought at the time...we must do something to save this site that meant so much to Racing, to Indianapolis and to the automotive standards of the world. From such thinking, the above plan was born!!! We are in the VERYearly stages of this, but it all seems like a "GO" now! I would really be interested in your comments. Thank you, FRED!