Are Members with newer cars welcome to Club functions?

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
25 Jun 2005 13:47 #3275 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Ray, I checked your website and can see you are doing a fine job. One thing I noticed is the dash on the right hand drive car has the temp reversed. Of course the radio also. Where were right hand cars required, England, India, South Africa? The old British Empire, Australia? My car, left hand drive, was an export but it went to the mainland european continent, where they must use left hand drive, confusing, to say the least.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
25 Jun 2005 15:12 #3276 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: Hat & Bag for Club Display

Al Hatch wrote: Hi Bill,

The items look good. You did not say if you are willing to donate one of each item for the Club's display at the museum.
Al Hatch

I will donate one of each to the Club. Might even be mine!

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
More
25 Jun 2005 15:14 #3277 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: Re: replicas

MICHAEL S SMITH wrote: BILL

I HAVE EVEN SEEN THIS KIND OF NONSENSE DIRECTED AT GLENN PRAY, WHO EVERYONE IN THIS CLUB SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES AND THANK, EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR HIS EFFORTS, AND FORESIGHT, WITHOUT WHICH, WE ALL WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT TRYING TO COME UP WITH PARTS ETC. FOR OUR CARS.

You can thank him personally in Auburn this year. He is the Grand Marshall.

I consider the replicas and "2nd generation cars" to be ambassadors running around creating demand for the original cars. No point being one of the last 50 guys in the world with a car that no one has heard of!

More
26 Jun 2005 18:50 #3280 by sunroofcord
sunroofcord replied the topic: MODIFIED CARS AND REPLICAS
Seems we have two subjects going on here. I find the one about the controversy of Modified Cars and Replicas quite interesting. As a 2nd generation member, I personally believe in this day and age, it's time for the club to have a division for the modified cars. The owners obviously have an interest in the ACD Marque or they wouldn't own the car in the first place and there are several members that have Modified Cars or Replicas, even some old timers. And as time goes on, there are going to be more and more modified cars. Personally, the beauty in these cars for me is in the design, not the mechanicals. Everyone who remembers when they saw there first ACD car, what attracted it to you in the first place????, I'll bet it was the design of the car, not the mechanicals. If you do any research on these cars, you'll find they have been modified since the time they were new and alot of the ones that were modified way back when, seem to be showing up on e-bay. I've actually started to collect material on the modified Auburns, Cords, Graham Hollywoods, and Hupmobile Skylarks to do a book, so if you know anyone who owns a modified example of these marques or is building one or have any photos, magazine or newspaper articles, please contact me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. I would like the book to be from the early days to the current days. You will receive credit for whatever you send. Many Thanks in advance. To me, Bill Hummels Cord Cabriolet is not a mutt. It is a CORD with a modern drivetrain. Now for a little clarification, I do not approve of taking a very nice original or restored car and modifying it but if you already have one that's modified or want to build a modified car from an unrestored car, I don't see anything wrong with that. Unfortunately, not all of us have a zillion dollars and a modified car may be our only way to own our dream car. I'm sure I've probably opened a can of worms here but it is my personal opinion and no one elses.

• balinwire
More
27 Jun 2005 01:48 #3282 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Old Time conversion book
To get exposed to the hobby, well I guess it really was the hobby of hotrods, was the need for a running automobile to drive. The 30?s and 40?s cars were plentiful except the obsolete running trains needed to be replaced. The guys learned trades in the war and came home to meld the new giant v8? Hemis and small blocks into the 50?s and early 60?s autos.

To get a car when out of high school you would need a couple of thousand dollars to get a new Mustang. So why not buy a 40?s converted coupe, woody or any of the vehicles the guys were selling for peanuts back then.

That?s what we drove and hoped to keep them running long enough to start our own families and possibly have the dream of bigger garages and more tools.

One thing you notice when you compare a modified and original is the patina of the gauges and the sound of the early motors. One can only hope to admire the old mirrors, seating and large steering wheels. You learn about the beautiful classics and strive to own an original specimen.

This leads to the search to the obsession to acquire more original vehicles. In the case of the Auburn marque they were precious to start with and rare. ?Luckily? the 810-12 series had the futuristic front wheel drive setup. Had the 810 had been rear wheel drive the conversion would have been simpler and I feel conversions would have been much more common and there would have been many fewer original survivors.

Thankfully, many if not most were undisturbed with help from aftermarket parts suppliers.

Some of these were not collector cars at one time but transportation. They were modified in the fifties and they are already cut. This was not condemned in the past and I have seen sedans with the doors filled and the tops cut off!

It is now almost prohibitive with no motors and drives reasonably priced to bring a body back within reasonably stock appearance. One can only hope for more reproduction parts.

Your idea of the conversion reference book is a good idea. It would be interesting to see how the old timers shoehorned replacement drives in. There was an old article I saw with a picture of a member installing a Cadillac motor in backwards and fitting the water pump on in the front with tubing. The steering had several knuckles to clear the exhaust. There is much to learn from there experiences.

They deserve some recognition for there contributions. Once again I would not condone any disturbance of an original but when there is just a body and some fenders and someone can bring these few parts to their former glory tastefully, live and let live.

More
27 Jun 2005 08:22 #3283 by RayCord
RayCord replied the topic: Right-hand drive Cords - reply to Balinwire
Hi there. Thanks for your words on encouragement - the car is coming along nicely - a bit slow right now while doing the bodywork.
Most right-hand drive Cords were made for small orders to the British Colonies which included Southern Africa, Australia, New Zealand etc. Japan interestingly enough is also right-hand drive. All European Countries and their ex-colonies in Africa are left-hand drive - very confusing!!

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds