Are Members with newer cars welcome to Club functions?

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
15 Mar 2005 15:18 #2960 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel created the topic: Are Members with newer cars welcome to Club functions?
I feel that I must bring up this topic in a Public Forum now.

I have been working non-stop for 6 months to put on a quality Mini-Meet in Texas for our Club Members and their guests. It is going to pay off because you are responding overwhelmingly. It seems that ACD Club members want a top-notch meet in a more upscale setting. I am happy to report that we will have one of the largest Mini-Meets on record!

I am also quite distressed by a number of private messages sent to me asking if Members and Car owners with new generation cars are welcome at our Meets.

The stated purpose of the ACD Club is that it is An Organization for the Restoration and Preservation of Original AUBURN, CORD and DUESENBERG Automobiles. This is not going to change. This is why the Club has survived for 50 years and why it is so highly respected.

However, the Club recognizes that our cars have been honored by the public as being some of the mostly highly-sought vehicles in the world and that many reproductions are being made every day. There can be no higher compliment!

It is my opinion that as long as newer cars are identified as such, there is NO REASON why Club members cannot participate in any club function.

These cars are getting older every day and parts are getting harder and harder to find. How many cars are out there that are complete with no reproduction parts? Very few I suspect.

My car has a newer engine. Is my car a replica? No! It is an original car that is in an incomplete form that is in process of restoration.

Is a re-bodied Duesenberg a replica? Some would say yes. It certainly is not original.

Folks, this is is a CLUB. One of its main purposes is for members to get together and share good times. That's why I joined. When it stops being fun, or when members with newer cars are being treating as Second-Class members, then that is when I stop coming to club functions.

One last pitch for the Texas Meet. Everyone in Texas wants you to stop by and bring your car! I don't care how late it is, we'll do our best to accommodate you. You can get a last-minute registration form in the Events & Meets Area.

See you at the Gaylord Texan in April!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
More
18 Apr 2005 14:35 #3052 by Al Hatch
Al Hatch replied the topic:
Hi Bill,

Pat and I just got back from our Australia, New Zealand and Tahati/Bora-Bora trip. We have been gone for 5 weeks and took in the Australiam Region Meet while in Australia. Sorry we could not do both things at the same time but hope to make next years Texas meet.

Speaking of your meet; I have heard that it was extremely successful and well attended. My congratulatins goes out to you. As keeper of the club memorabilia that is on display at the museum you would have any left over 'give aways' of memorabilia that you could donate to the Club? I got some really nice stuff from the Australians and will be taking it to Auburn this coming weekend.

Let me know if you have anything.

CORDially,

Al Hatch

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
More
18 Apr 2005 15:08 #3053 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: ACD TEXAS MEET STUFF
Hi Al,

We had a number of things at the Texas Meet.

We all had hanging name badges courtesy of Texas Driver Magazine. We also gave out Hats and Travel Bags.

Check the MISC FOR SALE section. We have a number of those left, but they all got paid for by me. I am selling them on the website to get some money back. 100% of the profits go to the Club. I also want to give the next Texas Chairman more money than I got this year.

We've been in the black for the last several years and I need to keep the momemtum going by selling the rest of our bags and hats. I will bring any extras to Auburn and sell them there too.

Again, 100% of the profits go to the club.

• Al Hatch
More
19 Apr 2005 01:01 #3055 by Al Hatch
Al Hatch replied the topic:
Hi Bill,

The items look good. You did not say if you are willing to donate one of each item for the Club's display at the museum. Please let me know what your decision is. As for my personal collection, would you set aside one hat and bag and bring them to Auburn? If this is okay, I will pay you for them at that time or if you prefer I can send you a check now.

Please adivse.

Al Hatch

More
24 Jun 2005 10:28 #3270 by RayCord
RayCord replied the topic: Newer cars
It is interesting that many vintage / classic car clubs here in South Africa have the same dilemma. I have seen membership of clubs literally "dying off" as they try to enforce rules and regulations on "original" cars.
My view is that you need to attract younger people to any club to ensure its survival, and the barrier of entry should be low enough to encourage owners of replicas, resto-rods etc. to join. They already have a passion for the marque, and could become future owners of the "real thing" as they learn more and have access to the club.
Regards
Ray

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
24 Jun 2005 20:02 #3272 by MICHAEL S SMITH
MICHAEL S SMITH replied the topic: replicas
BILL

I DON'T HAVE A REPLICA ACD CAR, BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SOMEWHAT DISTRESSED WHEN ATTENDING AUBURN, DURING THE PARADE ALL CARS AND OWNERS ARE IDENTIFIED AT THE REVIEWING STAND, UNTIL THE REPLICAS ARRIVE, ALWAYS AT THE END, AND THE PA SAYS AND HERE ARE THE REPLICAS!!!,AND THATS IT. IN OTHER WORDS DON'T LET THE SCREEN DOOR HIT YOU IN THE BUTT, AND WE REALLY DON'T CARE THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME AND ENERGY TO COME AND SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR ACD CARS WITH "US". PERHAPS IF POLICIES LIKE THIS WERE CHANGED YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER NEWER ACD CARS ARE WELCOME AT MEETS. I HAVE EVEN SEEN THIS KIND OF NONSENSE DIRECTED AT GLENN PRAY, WHO EVERYONE IN THIS CLUB SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES AND THANK, EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR HIS EFFORTS, AND FORESIGHT, WITHOUT WHICH, WE ALL WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT TRYING TO COME UP WITH PARTS ETC. FOR OUR CARS.
SORRY TO GET ON MY SOAPBOX BUT THATS MY OPINION.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds