New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Judging of a non-certified car

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
16 Aug 2021 12:00 #43718 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Judging of a non-certified car
Contrary to popular belief, my phaeton never had any leather in the interior when new. I have no documentation to prove this--only the fact that there is only one set of nail holes in the original wood and those are what held the original cloth backed leatherette in place. The seats are in this same material. I only have the car's history back to the late 1940's.
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2021 12:22 #43719 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Judging of a non-certified car
Since Auburns were painted custom colors, it occures to me that the higher end Cord would as well.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

More
13 Oct 2021 22:24 #44094 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Judging of a non-certified car
Sort of like: Will the true color of cigarette cream stand up ? Or did they have more than one shade of yellow-ish ?

As to custom painted cars - they still had an assembly line mentality (which as far as a company went they were pretty good at assembly line mentality) and betting the cost would have been discouraging on a modestly priced car.

We do know for example that they had a fair number of white Auburns via 1935 in photos (incl. White Caravan) and white is not on the color chart.

JMM

More
13 Oct 2021 22:45 #44095 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Judging of a non-certified car
They might have been painted white on the assembly line, but discolored quickly. Ultra -violet rays quickly discolored the white to an off-yellow.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds