Skip to main content

Model J roadster identification

• slehrman
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2020 15:39 - 20 Jun 2020 15:40 #40392 by slehrman
Replied by slehrman on topic Model J roadster identification
Hi Mike........I'm flattered to be thought as a J owner, but the fact is I manage a collection of cars for a wonderful gentlemen and am in fact just a caretaker of his cars. J-357 is a fantastic car and holds a special place in my heart of driving memories that could never be duplicated. We always have refered to 357 as "Melvin" to honor the memory of a true car guy, who was "wise enough to leave well enough alone." Best, Ed Minnie, Lehrman Collection.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2020 15:40 by slehrman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2020 13:46 - 19 Jun 2020 13:47 #40388 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Model J roadster identification
Mike, I had no idea the car had ever been to an ACD meet - it struck me not as a "barn find", but as a car that had been well enough kept, though not on the road for eons. Bill said it ran and I saw it had a new battery in it, but I discounted that quickly.

JMM
Last edit: 19 Jun 2020 13:47 by johnmereness.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2020 23:50 #40370 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Model J roadster identification
John,

I suspect you already know the "the Packard Body," as phrase I often heard used in connection with the car was owned for many years by multiple Duesenberg owner Melvin Clemans of West Virginia. For many years, this car was driven to the Auburn reunion running with J-357, the Murphy convertible Coupe currently owned by Ed Minnie

Mike
8-100A

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 22:46 #40324 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Model J roadster identification
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, John. That's great info, you are a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure is a nice looking car in my opinion.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 22:42 #40323 by johnmereness

JMM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joel

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2020 22:37 - 08 Jun 2020 22:47 #40322 by johnmereness
Supposedly, when the car was new or near new it had a run in with a train, streetcar, or the like and as a result was fitted with a Packard Roadster body (I assume it to be a 1930 740 or 1930 840 series) that probably came off of a Packard chassis. I have heard tale of it being an undelivered body, but I did note that the first time when I saw the car as unrestored when you opened the doors it had script "Packard" door sill plates. I saw the car as unrestored at the home of Bill Bools (now deceased and who lived a couple of blocks from my parents - Bill was one of the first people who came over to my parent's house when we moved to Cincinnati and one of the few people I really could "talk" cars with to a level most people cannot). When I saw the car it was painted two shades of green (neither shade of green was as dark a green as it is today). The car was nicknames the Green .... - something or another and I do not recall now, but it should be researchable. When Bill died I assume his brother John Bools arranged for the car to be sold to Harry Yeaggy. I believe RM restorations restored the car and I want to say it made a limited appearance in "black" to have the World cringe (I could be wrong on this, but that is what I heard) and since has been re-re-restored in the current dark green. The first time I saw the car, Bill had bought a NOS 8" Single Pilot Ray Driving Lamp "Lights The Winding Way" from me and was working up a set of chrome plated wire wheels for the car (it had green painted wheels), metal Lyon brand sidemount covers, a luggage rack and luggage trunk, and was also working on installing a rumble seat windshield for it. I recall the car being as solid as anyone would ever want to find in an unrestored car. As far as unrestored cars go, the only thing objectionable was the battery box cover had apparently come into contact with the battery and it had seen a lot of "heat" as a result.

JMM
Last edit: 08 Jun 2020 22:47 by johnmereness.

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2020 17:47 #40315 by Joel
Model J roadster identification was created by Joel
Hi I found this beautiful roadster picture on the internet. Can anybody identify the car?

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img