Hood Restoration

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2020 14:19 #40060 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic Hood Restoration
Thanks Joel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 06:38 #40058 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Hood Restoration
I look forward to seeing this project progress. Thanks for sharing.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 17:48 #40044 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Hood Restoration
Pat... I figured your hood was aluminum well after I wrote my post but... Practice using the same thickness materials before actually heli arc weld repairs to your hood. Using a TIG you have in-creditable heat control so very little distortion will happen. Even if you burn thru you can cut it out and make a larger repair

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 14:05 #40043 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic Hood Restoration
Hi Gary, thanks for your comments, unfortunately, most of the processes you mention will not work, the hood is made of aluminum. As for you comment, "the louver repairs are simple too", anything is easy if you have had enough experience with what is being done. I have much more experience tig welding steel than aluminum and ultimately, I will probably be using gas welding for the repairs. I am trying to keep the distortion down to a minimum and still have the form-ability to make everything straight.
Pat

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 07:59 #40035 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Hood Restoration
You could use the new laser rust remover and make the reapairs so much easier on yourself. The laser in harmless to skinn but sure removes rust quickly. The louver repairs are simple too. As a retired machinist and welder I used to TIG weld reapirs on stationary steam turbine diaphragm blades. We would make a copper backing plate under the missing or cut back blades. Then start a TIG weld bead using Inconel rod. We actually "made" the replacement blade as we continued to add another bead of weld. On your metal material you probably can use plain carbon steel TIG rod. We used Inconel because it did not erode away from steam wearing it off. The blade material was proprietary material and Westinghouse or General Electric would never tell us what it was. Even if you decide not to repair like I explained a TIG weld in replacement piece will probably be the easiest to blend in with very little heat distortion. If your hood is aluminum material all what I mentioned will not be the way to repair it..

Gary Parsons

• pfree3233
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 03:10 #40030 by pfree3233
Hood Restoration was created by pfree3233
Hi, hope everyone is staying safe during these crazy times. I figured while I was in the shop I would take pictures of my hood restoration. I don't normally post pictures of my project but I thought it would be something to share with the group while all this stuff is going on. The hood is not in the best of shape but hope that changes. I don't know how long this will take but I will try and take pictures as I go. Hope all enjoy the photos. Stay safe. Pat