Duesenberg J-587 Bohman & Schwartz "Throne Car&quot

• bill powell
  • bill powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2007 14:05 #7287 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic: throne car
I was working on the throne car just yesterday. All the sheet metal points in generally the right direction, but the rear cap looks to have dropped on its edges. It has a couple of broken windows. The interior is not bad, except for the trim piece above the dash.

It still has two of the re-enforced seventeen inch wheels, and has a full set of seventeen inch chrome 'safety' wheels. The re-enforced wheels have a round plate welded to the backside of the rim, and some ultra heavy duty spokes welded between the existing spokes. The round plate is bolted to probably a modified brake drum, and it spaces the wheel out to far to use the Duesenberg center nut. For display and minimum driving the chrome wheels would probably work. The re-enforced wheels are way too ugly to display, so it would probably need full wheel covers to be pretty.

We started the car a few months ago just to see if it would run.

The splice where the frame was lengthened is under the front doors.

I'm interested in the trunk and trunk mount shown in the profile photo. anyone know about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Riley
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
23 Jun 2007 16:04 #7290 by Greg Riley
Greg Riley replied the topic: Welcome Bill!
Bill,
Welcome! It was a pleasure to see you at Keels & Wheels.
Greg

Greg Riley

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2007 17:54 #7291 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
Thank you. I never knew this site existed til yesterday, or day before.

I like the Keels and Wheels show. If they keep selling land and the condos continue to crowd in we may run out of a show.

You can raise the hood on the throne car and way down inside the engine compartment is the original Duesenberg cast firewall and cowl lip.

They apparently used a chassis, built a wide body, and slid it down over the stock width car cause the steering wheel is ten inches from the lleft door. On either side of the dash are spacers out to the doors. It has a stock width rear seat with padded spacers out to the body. The jump seat behind the divider window is over six feet wide. It had floor heaters that have been updated to squirrel cage blowers.

On one of the father divine websites was a description of how it originally envisioned. White leather and gold interior. the description made it sound like a persian cat house.

• georgealbright
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
25 Jun 2007 02:57 #7315 by georgealbright
georgealbright replied the topic: The Father Devine Car at Hershey in 1986 or 1995
It appeared the Father Devine car was for sale in the old white field at Hershey in either 1986 or 1995/95. Can't keep my decades straight! I inspected the car and it had a new slightly amateurish black paint job. I spoke to whoever had it for sale,and they stated that when it was purchased,Father Devines bunch was trying to run it on 6 cylinders,and the other 2 rods and pistons were sitting beside the car! I guess they were better at prayin than mechanicing! George Albright

George Albright Cell 352 843 1624

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2007 12:36 #7866 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
Interesting update on the Father Divine car. It was just discovered that the car was not black originally, but a very dark green. Parts are being scrounged up now to make the car correct again. It's gonna be totally beautimous. Well, maybe not beautimous, but certainly impressive.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
25 Aug 2007 16:20 #7868 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Does the top over the rear seat still lower or is it just "capped" with a Carson top-like cover?

The photos in one of my Blackhawk Collection Expo Sale catalogs show it with the rear end open and it doesn't look like there IS a top there.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds