Duesenberg J-587 Bohman & Schwartz "Throne Car&quot

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Nov 2006 03:54 #5729 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
I'm sure Greg will be able to provide a more definite answer on the car's condition, but I seem to recall that it's an unrestored original, so I hope they leave it as is.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Riley
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
06 Nov 2006 04:31 #5731 by Greg Riley
Greg Riley replied the topic:
The car seems to be in very good overall condition. I can't answer whether or not it has ever been restored. It is in presentable but not concours condition.

A saw a small amount of cracking paint. The lighting was too poor to really make a judgment on the bright work although I had the impression it was very nice. The interior is very presentable but doesn't appear "new". I didn't hear it run and didn't think to ask about the mechanical condition.

I'm sure there other ACD members that can answer better than I as to the originality of the car. If it is original it is very well preserved.

The car gives the impression of great bulk particularly at the rear. The coachwork seems disproportionally wide when compared to the rear track. It stood taller than all of the other cars in the room except for one Pre-WWI Mercedes.

I don't have any information about the eventual plans for the car. There are so many fabulous vehicles in Mr. O'Quinn's collection it is very hard to focus on just one. :D

Greg Riley

• Duesey
  • Duesey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2006 06:12 #5740 by Duesey
Duesey replied the topic:
I may very well stand to be corrected, but I remember reading in Fred Roe's book that the Devine car was in horrible condition when he last saw the car, so I would stand to reckon that the car has been restored to some extent some time in its life. This isn't based on any personal knowledge, mind you, just what I have read.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
08 Nov 2006 22:01 #5745 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic: Hmmm...
Eric,

Not having a first-born son to trade for a copy of Fred Roe's book-- :D--I got my info from the Blackhawk Collection expo catalog for 1999: "This car is still in original condition throughout from 1937." The car looks no different in the photos in the catalog than in the ones from O'Quinn's Greg posted.

On the other hand, the catalog also spells late collector Sergio Franchi's last name as "Frankie." :rolleyes:So I'll go with Roe, too.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
09 Nov 2006 01:30 #5747 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
Yes the Father Divine has been somewhat restored. Randy Ema

• 29AV8
  • 29AV8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Dec 2006 19:56 #5982 by 29AV8
29AV8 replied the topic: Divine Car
I saw the car at the Petersen not too long ago, along with the Guerney-Nutting roadster, the Wrigley car, and others. It was restored at that point and looked pretty good.

Pictures do not do it justice. That thing had to be at least 8 feet tall. It's more like a bus with a long hood. It was not pretty, more like 'brooding'.

Also on display was Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson's JN Berline (Rollston/Bohman & Schwartz). I believe he bought that car new as well, but talk about two vastly different african-american owned cars...

29AV8

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds