Skip to main content

Question about Model J Starter-to-Frame ground strap.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2018 12:51 #34215 by Curt Schulze
34-36 Auburn used those K10241 , they might interchange.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: HSS1929

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2018 19:43 #34210 by RandyEma
Right from the start. R
The following user(s) said Thank You: HSS1929

• HSS1929
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2018 18:06 #34209 by HSS1929
Thanks Randy, did I miss it in the parts book? Do you know if it was used right from start of J production or a later modification?

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2018 17:00 #34208 by RandyEma
Yes the flat braded ground strap is correct

• HSS1929
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2018 20:51 #34202 by HSS1929
First off, this is a very nitpicky question. But I have noticed on a number of Model Js a copper strap making a direct electrical connection between the starter motor and the nearby frame rail. However, I have not found such a strap in (reproduction) copy of the parts book. Nor does there seem to be any commonality to the various straps observed on the different cars. Given the 6-Volt starter system was perhaps a touch weak and slow turning at first, it seems likely this was something added by later owners to try and give the start just a little more oomph. (Of course, probably a lot of owners in the 1960s and 70s probably used 12-Volt battery cables from the auto parts store not realizing that with 6-Volt systems you need very heavy battery cables.) Was this a factory modification, something added by mechanics/owners over the years? Anyone have definitive answer on this one? Photo from J-330, a mostly original car mechanically and the most "official" looking strap I have seen, most of the others looking like woven copper mesh straps with a washer at each end. Thanks.
Attachments: