Skip to main content

Duesenberg exhaust 2

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2014 18:37 #26828 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Re: exhuast systems on the "J"

Bob Roller wrote: The best and easiest to install was a thing Melvin Clemens called a pipe organ.
It consisted of eight straight pipes out thru the hood after the side panel was removed.He said it made the car J396 easy to track from one county to the next. I recall going thru a tunnel and releasing the accelerator and it let out a startling roar and a blast of blue fire. Those were the days when fun could be had with these cars.

Bob Roller

I miss Melvin.

Mike
8-100A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2014 15:20 #26826 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic exhuast systems on the "J"
The best and easiest to install was a thing Melvin Clemens called a pipe organ.
It consisted of eight straight pipes out thru the hood after the side panel was removed.He said it made the car J396 easy to track from one county to the next. I recall going thru a tunnel and releasing the accelerator and it let out a startling roar and a blast of blue fire. Those were the days when fun could be had with these cars.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Va 33
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2014 06:29 #26824 by Va 33
Replied by Va 33 on topic Duesenberg exhaust 2

Joel wrote: Regarding the exhaust: On an unsupercharged car, that flapper is part of the cutout out. At least it was originally. Here how it works: the muffler is coaxial in in construction. It has a straight through pipe approximately 2" diameter that completely bypasses any baffling. This pipe is surrounded by a 4" inlet and outlet muffler case. The cutout casting has ports that connect the outlet of the muffler to the tailpipes. The cutout valve shuts off the port that is connected to the 2" straight pipe, forcing the exhaust thru the baffled area of the muffler, out the 4" muffler exit, into the valve body and out the tailpipes. When the cutout is open, the majority of the exhaust will go thru the 2" straight pipe in the core of the muffler, into the valve and out the tailpipes.

Supercharged J's have a completely different cutout. It is a Y pipe before the muffler with a valve to open it, and a 3rd tailpipe.

Sounds like your car has The supercharged type cutout, and is using the cutout casting on the rear of the muffler only as a means to connect the tailpipes to the muffler.

I hope this helps, Joel

Thank you very much

More
30 Jan 2014 03:59 #26823 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Duesenberg exhaust 2
Regarding the exhaust: On an unsupercharged car, that flapper is part of the cutout out. At least it was originally. Here how it works: the muffler is coaxial in in construction. It has a straight through pipe approximately 2" diameter that completely bypasses any baffling. This pipe is surrounded by a 4" inlet and outlet muffler case. The cutout casting has ports that connect the outlet of the muffler to the tailpipes. The cutout valve shuts off the port that is connected to the 2" straight pipe, forcing the exhaust thru the baffled area of the muffler, out the 4" muffler exit, into the valve body and out the tailpipes. When the cutout is open, the majority of the exhaust will go thru the 2" straight pipe in the core of the muffler, into the valve and out the tailpipes.

Supercharged J's have a completely different cutout. It is a Y pipe before the muffler with a valve to open it, and a 3rd tailpipe.

Sounds like your car has The supercharged type cutout, and is using the cutout casting on the rear of the muffler only as a means to connect the tailpipes to the muffler.

I hope this helps, Joel

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Va 33
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2014 21:46 #26757 by Va 33
Duesenberg exhaust 2 was created by Va 33
Thanks for the response, I did not make myself clear enough on my first request, I'm not talking about the exhaust by pass or cut out as we call them in the Midwest. My question is behind the muffler on the outlet end is a what I call a flipper type valve that directs the exhaust to either one tailpipe or to both tailpipes, what is the purpose? The exhaust by pass is a third tailpipe with a flap type valve at the end near the twin pipes.