Skip to main content

Vintage Duesenberg Brochure - Real or Early Reprint?

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2012 23:18 #22996 by RandyEma
Buyer be ware catalogs ,parts books and owners manuals have been reprinted since the 1950s for Duesenberg. Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2012 18:40 #22994 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Duesenberg literature
In the 1950's,these cars were just another odd used car that few wanted and even into the 60's the values hadn't gone crazy so what good reason would there be to make new catalogs? Is there any printers name anywhere on these?
I am like Josh,I would be 95% or more sure they are real and not repros. Consider also the source and if the person that you got these from has been collecting for a long time,I'd say you're safe in the purchase.
Back in the days when I was collecting antique guns,one rule was never call anything a fake unless you own it. Colt revolvers of pre civil war vintage were found to be bogus and one man was making most of them.He was good,real good and samples of his work still linger.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2012 10:01 #22979 by Josh Malks
From my experience, Floyd Clymer carefully annotated all of his reprints. The Duesenberg one I've seen is a reprint of the 1933 catalog. You'll be seeing excerpts in Newsletter #5 in a month or so.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2012 00:58 #22974 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Vintage Duesenberg Brochure - Real or Early Reprint?
As I said, that's just the copies I've seen. Someone else here will be able to offer better suggestions, I'm sure.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• VintageLiterature
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2012 00:54 #22973 by VintageLiterature
Replied by VintageLiterature on topic Vintage Duesenberg Brochure - Real or Early Reprint?
Thanks Chris! The rear cover of this brochure is blank. I appreciate the insight and am now much more confident that this item is original

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2012 00:48 #22972 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Vintage Duesenberg Brochure - Real or Early Reprint?
The Clymer reprint of this that I'm familiar with had his name on the bottom of the back cover, as I recall. There may have been other versions.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• VintageLiterature
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2012 22:25 #22970 by VintageLiterature
Vintage Duesenberg Brochure - Real or Early Reprint? was created by VintageLiterature
Hi,
Hoping a fellow literature collector can help shed some light on a recent find. I purchased a very large collection of early literature recently, with items dating back to 1901 to as recent as the 1980's. Most of the early pieces are unquestionably original, including some very rare and valuable pieces (e.g. a 1907 Packard brochure). However, the collection also included some high quality 1960's/1970's Rolls Royce Owner's club and Clymer reprints of early brochures. All of the reprints were clearly marked as such.

The item I am uncertain about is this early 1930's Duesenberg brochure (see photos). There are a couple currently listed on eBay in considerably worse condition than mine and the appearance is otherwise identical. My brochure is in excellent condition with some light wear, but I do have many items from this era (and even earlier) in similar condition. There are no markings anywhere on the brochure to suggest it is a reprint and the paper stock / printing are very high quality and closely match the listed originals.

While I am 95% confident that my item is original based on the items it was found with, I feel there may be a possibility this is an old reproduction from the 1950's or 1960's. Is anyone aware of any reproductions done of this particular brochure? If so, is there any way to validate whether my find is an original or high-quality early repro?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!