Rosanky Museum Liquidation

• West Peterson
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
17 Apr 2012 12:47 #22619 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
I am certainly aware of that. This is different. Here's the auction description. If what you say above is true, I'd say the auction listing is blatantly wrong.

"When chassis 2394, a long wheelbase version, left the Indianapolis factory, it had mounted on it engine J375, supercharged from the factory and just as it is presented today. ... In the world of Duesenbergs to find an SJ model is rare. To find one that is still with its original chassis and even more special."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 13:36 #22620 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
I was going to respond to this and then thought better. I guess I'll just say a couple of things. It is possible this was the deal of the century, or it is also possible Chris is giving good advice. In this case I don't really know.

Chris, is this one of Ted's cars?

More
17 Apr 2012 13:37 #22621 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Btw,

An original SJ blower would bring more than 1/2 of what this car sold for all on it's own.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Apr 2012 13:50 #22622 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
A.J., yes it is.

The original car J-375 / 2394 is believed to have been a Willoughby Berline, which Marshall Merkes parted out c. 1949. In the 1970s Leo Gephart got some remains of the car, most notably most of the original engine, and had Ted Billing make him a car. Ray Wolff's notes make no mention of the original frame being part of the project or surviving post 1949, and note "engine only" surviving in the Billing recreation. The current frame is numbered 2394 but I believe it to be a recreation.

I have never seen any mention of the engine in this car being supercharged at any point prior to the construction of the Tourster in the 1970s. I believe the current supercharger is a Gephart reproduction, given the car's history.

As always, I welcome alternative versions of the history. Our Duesenberg Historian should chime in at some point with his opinions. Let's avoid talk of lawsuits, however.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• West Peterson
More
17 Apr 2012 13:59 #22623 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
The quote from the auction company states that it was supercharged from the factory, as I noted in my previous post.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Apr 2012 14:01 #22624 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Let me rephrase that: Never in any scholarly source. Not in Roe, not in Elbert, not in Malks, not in Wolff.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds