My Father's Duesenberg

• Commodore
  • Commodore's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
29 Dec 2011 03:22 #21770 by Commodore
Commodore replied the topic:

Steve Derus wrote: In 1955 I was ten years old, but I still remember seeing your father's car when it was in Topanga Canyon. Is that where your family lived at the time? If not, wondering if you know how the car came to be sitting there outside under a tarp? From your father's photos its clear he had a high regard for the car and took good care of it. It looked pretty neglected when I saw it.

Yes, we were living in Topanga at the time. As I understand it, there are three reasons why it ended up outside under a tarp. The first was that when my father rented the car to the movie studio, they painted the car cream and when they returned it they repainted it black, but the paint job was no way as good as the orginal Duesenberg paint job. Second, somebody stole the instruments (gauges) out of it. I was told by my mother that these instruments were not replaceable. Third, the car had some mechcanical issues. These things took the heart out of my father and when we moved to Topanga there was no place to store it. So it sat outside and deteriorated until he sold it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2011 03:26 #21771 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
Thanks Steve for filling us in on some interesting history of your Father's car.

Steve

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
29 Dec 2011 03:56 #21772 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Has J-565, the other Duesenberg "J" from the 1949 Gatsby movie, appeared at any ACD meets & venues, or other car show events in the last few decades since the 1970s ?

I believe I remember seeing it in the general Philadelphia area many years ago at a car show event ?
I believe my late Father has several faded 1970s vintage photos of it in his office at home here.

Has it appeared in public lately ?
Or has it been hidden away in an auto museum, or some collector's private hidden collection ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Dec 2011 04:07 #21773 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Brad, I don't know the car's present whereabouts.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• silverghost
More
29 Dec 2011 04:19 #21774 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Chris~~~
I am sure We saw J-565 here in my general Philly area several times in the 1970s.
Dad has some old faded Kodacolor prints of it from that time frame in his files.
I remember at least four photos~~~One shows it's engine's carb/manifold -side .
Another photo with Dad posing next to the front grill .
The others are general side & front photos.

I will try to dig them out & email them to you.

Might J-565 still be hidden away in Pennsylvania ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
29 Dec 2011 17:28 #21780 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
Yes still in Pa

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds