Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

More
01 Jun 2013 11:28 #25302 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

mikespeed35 wrote: What did J-514 sell for?
CORDially Mike

Hello,

does someone know the auction-price for that car?

The estimate (by Dragone) was $ 1.5-2.0 Million.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
01 Jun 2013 14:44 #25304 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Just from looking at the auction link on that model SJ does it not appear that the chassis is unrestored and in dire need of proper paint ?

I have seen a number of cars that Manny & George have offered for sale in the past that just had quickie paint jobs applied over a car body that was never dis-assembled to paint it .
One similar example that comes to mind was a bright blue Springfield Rolls~Royce Brewster York Roadster that I went down to the "Classics" event in Atlantic City NJ.
Upon inspection & questions to George Dragone. I soon discovered that this car had received a similar quickie paint job without any body disassemblly . Even the fender welting was painted the very same blue !
The underside of the car was showing it's age as nothing had ever been done to it sice new .
When time came to have it cross the auction block they had to push it across as it refused to start-up.
All the other 25+ carsat this event drove past the auction block under their own power !

A similar quickie paint job on this "SJ" might help explain the ill-fitting hood ? ? ! !
Take a look at the chassis rail photo on their web-link above and you will see what I am speaking about.

What is YOUR opinion ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
01 Jun 2013 15:04 #25305 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
If I were ever fortunate enough to own a Duesenberg, I would not mind owning a car that had less than show quality restoration, since I would want to drive and enjoy the car as much as possible. I would be looking more closely at mechanical condition than cosmetics.

• silverghost
More
01 Jun 2013 15:46 #25306 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Hi Steve~~~

I agree with you about having,and actually using a nice "Driver" type car~~~

My above comment means I just thought that Dragone's pre-auction selling estimate of $1.5--$2. Million might not be that realistic despite the extreme rarity of that original factory superchared SJ ?

I guess we shall see when we eventually hear the final auction hammer price~~~to see if I was correct ?

It's still a nice car~~~~But is it a $ 2 MILLION dollar car ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
02 Jun 2013 12:58 #25312 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Brad, keep in mind that Manny and George are in the business of selling cars. I would assume that means if they can "spruce" a car up to make more of a profit they would do that. Dealers provide a service, most especially if they can take trades towards a car you might want to buy. On the other hand, they usually want retail plus since they are in business to make money. You need to keep that in mind when looking at a car they are selling.

Most of us, on the other hand are collectors. Collectors usually make decisions without considering the financial downside but based on our own concepts or more often impulses.

As a general rule, a collector jousting with a dealer over a car is not a fair fight. One is level headed and the other is running on emotion.

• Bob Roller
More
02 Jun 2013 16:22 #25319 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: 2 million $ car
Only if Barnum was right would it or any other car be a $2,000,000 car.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds