• landmark
  • landmark's Avatar Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
03 Aug 2011 21:49 #20652 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:
Hello,

doesn't owned E.L. Cord the Lycoming Company as well?

Lycoming produced engines for tanks and aircrafts during W.W.II

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
03 Aug 2011 22:01 #20653 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Yes, Matt, Lycoming was another wholly-owned subsidiary of the Auburn Automobile Company. I did not know exactly what they built during WWII. Thanks.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• landmark
  • landmark's Avatar Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
03 Aug 2011 23:08 #20656 by landmark
landmark replied the topic: Re: History/Zeitgeschichte

Bob Roller wrote: Zeitgeschichte,the face or story of time.In the days of E.LCord's auto/industrial empire,sinister events were transpiring and anyone who won't learn from them may damned well have to relive them. ONE major financial catastrophe and the party restarts all over again. What happened to and IN the auto industry were certainly entertwined when America did get involved in WW2 officially after Pearl Harbor. The independent makers,Packard,Nash.Hudson,Studebaker,Willys were all heavily engaged in war production. Notably absent was Cord's industrial empire. Duesenbergs made a small contibution in the well known Pratt&Whitney tests but only 4 cars were involved but the production of the powerful "J" engine was over and no chance of revival.
Packard furnished 55,000 V12 aircraft engines and several thousand more V12 marine engines and possibly some air cooled radial engines as well. Studebaker kept our military and the Russians supplied with reliable trucks.Hudson and Nash made fuselage sections for heavy bombers that rolled out of Ford's Willow Run plant at the rate of one per hour, Willys produced the ubiquitous "JEEP" and I worked on more that one of them in my Army days(1954-1963)
Field Marshall Rommel, in a frank talk with Hitler said that "When the industrial power of America shows up on any battles we are engaged in,we have lost with no hope of victory later".Of course Hitler blew up right on cue.
There is plenty of room for history on these forums and the story of the American automobile is one of free wheeling enterprise and a "Get out of the way"attitude that is sadly lacking today.
Zuviele zeitgeschichte ist nicht genug,Nicht Wahr?

Bob Roller

Hello,

I think you are right. Let me tell you a "visitors" point of view:

In the european market american software companies are strong with their products, applications and services. But in the industrial branches there are not many US made products really strong.
For example, allmost of american made cars which has been sold in Europe are Mercedes-Benz (Tuscaloosa) and BMW (Spartanburg). American made cars from american branches are a very small minority here. US-cars have not the best quality-reputation here and the fuel consumption seems to high. Today unleaded fuel cost here 1.60 Euro/Liter which means $ 8.50/gallon.

Since five or six years the sales of Chevrolet-cars increased in Germany, because since that time the south-korean made Daewoo cars has been sold as Chevrolet.

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
04 Aug 2011 17:33 #20663 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Bad reputation of U.S.Cars in Germany
That is a sad comment indeed. They must have a better reputation than Jaguar did in years past. Helmut Mohr in Mayen/Hausen told me that in addition to making muzzle loading guns and small machine shop jobs,he and his father,Alfons who is now deceased would take in engines to rebuild. They once got in a Jaguar V12 for a complete overhaul and when they took it apart,Alfons took measurements on all 12 cylinders and found that no two were the same size and he finally,after establishing the largest one,rebored the other 11 to match it and they proceeded with the rebuild and got the Jag back on the Bahn again. Helmut also said the big Jaguars did not have a good reputation and didn't stand up to the high speed driving on German Autobahns.I don't know about the Ford built Jags but I have worked on enough of the pre-Ford models to know that I don't want one. I have heard no reports on the ones made by Tata.
Our Consumer Report Magazine says the top three imported cars for causing problems are Mercedes,BMW and Audi. Sounds like they rank right up there with the Yugo. I have worked on those as well and between these three and Jaguar,I think I will stay with my Lincoln Town Car which seems to work well.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
10 Aug 2011 15:13 #20707 by janst
janst replied the topic:

Chris Summers wrote:
Figoni bodies:

J-263 / chassis unknown - Convertible Victoria - no longer in existence
J-465 / 2509 - Speedster - in NJ
J-369 / 2384 (probably) - Sedan - no longer in existence

them.

Hi Chris,
is the speedster body on the chassis 2509 original?
thanks
Jan

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
10 Aug 2011 15:36 #20710 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
That's a long, controversial story that will go into Duesy Notes eventually. The car was originally bodied as a speedster by Figoni but the present body is a replica of the original. The original body, meanwhile, is restored on another chassis but hasn't been seen in public for so long that most people have forgotten about it.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds