Skip to main content

Frank Yount Texas Oil Man

• Duesey
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2004 08:33 #1409 by Duesey
Replied by Duesey on topic Frank Yount Texas Oil Man

Greg Riley wrote: I'd love to know if one of Franks cars survives. When I was a child an old guy told me the story that Frank bought the '33 World Fair car, which apprently isn't true. He did however win every conceivable award for his horses at the fair just two months before his death.
Greg

She certain does sound loopy. As for whether he bought a car from the 33 World's Fair, he certainly didn't buy the premier Duesenberg from that show (thank goodness, the Arlington Torpedo Sedan is safely in the hands of JB Nethercutt now!), but he might of bought a Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow. Of the 5 built, 3 still survive, maybe she scrapped one of those too, which would make her the killer of two great automotive works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2004 21:05 #1390 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Frank Yount Texas Oil Man
Greg-

If Randy doesn't know, the Duesenberg's well hidden or doesn't exist. I think this was the car pictured on its wheels without tires on the junk yard scales.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2004 23:47 #1383 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic Frank Yount Texas Oil Man
By all accounts she was a little crazy! She apparently thought the Duesie was German built and was trying to be patriotic. She buried and dug Frank up about 4 times, and eventually tore down his masoleum she spent over $100K building in '34. She also owned 1,000 acre Spindletop Farms in Lexington, KY and won every accolade in the Saddle Bred horse world. People still talk about her world champions Beau Pevine, and Roxie Highland.
I'd love to know if one of Franks cars survives. When I was a child an old guy told me the story that Frank bought the '33 World Fair car, which apprently isn't true. He did however win every conceivable award for his horses at the fair just two months before his death.
Greg

Greg Riley

• Duesey
  • Visitor
07 Mar 2004 21:08 #1382 by Duesey
Replied by Duesey on topic Frank Yount Texas Oil Man
His wife ordered a Duesenberg to be cut up for scrap? There is a fine line b/t patriotic and crazy!

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2004 00:19 #1379 by Greg Riley
Frank Yount Texas Oil Man was created by Greg Riley
I am in the process of writing a book on Miles Frank Yount of Beaumont, TX. Frank was a flamboyant figure during the '20's and early '30's, and apparently had money to burn.
His 1933 will states that he owned two 1929 Duesenberg's, and a Cord L-29 as well as two Stradivarius violins (one for him, and another for his 13 year old daughter Mildred). The estate was valued at over $38MM when it went to probate in 1934. One of the Duesie's was destroyed by his wife Pansy during WWII. She apparently donated the mint condition Duesenberg Judkins Berline to a scrap drive, and insisted that it be cut up! I contacted Randy Ema who told me that is one of two made in this body style and was probably delivered sometime in '32, and he has photos of it just prior to being destroyed. The chassis of this car unknown.
Does anyone have any info on whether the second car still exists, and what the Chassis #/Body style might be? Any leads would be appreciated!
Greg Riley

Greg Riley