Skip to main content

Duesenberg Model J Leaf Spring Restoration

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2011 17:18 #19850 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Greasy springs/Bijur oiler
When I was working in the garage where our "J"work was done,we had a grease rack which was part of the gas station part of the business and any number of people would ask to have the "Springs sprayed". This was done by mixing a light oil with kerosene and then by using an air powered spray gun to do the job. Sort of messy but it was part of a 1950's style "grease job".
On the Duesenberg,the Bijur system lubed the spring shackles as well as the clutch linkage plus a few other things but not the springs.
I had a 1935 Packard convertible coupe that had a one shot oiler with a pull handle under the dash to activate it. I think it was also a Bijur item and I recall buying Bijur oil at Huntington Forge and Machine shop,
My current car,a Lincoln Town Car has about 4 fittings for grease (maybe) and I have to raise the roof with the people at the oil change shop to get them serviced,
These shops are taking pride in speed and if something is done right,you must insist on it.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gkit
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2011 13:36 #19848 by gkit
Randy, thanks very much for your reply. Gary

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2011 00:37 #19842 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Duesenberg Model J Leaf Spring Restoration
Original model J spring leaves were polished to a fairly coarse finish greased and after assy painted almost never covered and there was no Bijur to the leaves . Randy

• gkit
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2011 00:40 #19836 by gkit
I'm new to posting questions on line and I'm new to this web site, but I'm not new to the wonderful world of Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg automobiles. Please correct any of the following points that I will be making if I am wrong. On Page 285 of Fred Roe's book, "Duesenberg-The Pursuit of Perfection" he states that the spring leaves of the Model J were "polished". I have read in other sources that Fred Duesenberg himself was concerned about the J's spring rates and took it upon himself to tweak them during the car's development. Part of his solution was to plate and polish each leaf, lubricate them and ensure the retention of the oil and elimination of dirt and dust by wrapping the springs in leather "gaiters". Most restored Duesenberg Model J's that I've examined have had painted springs with no gaiters. Which is the correct way to restore the springs? Also, did the "Bijur" lubrication system lubricate the springs?