Tow Trucks.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
12 Feb 2011 21:10 #19212 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Bob left out my favorite of his descriptions of J-214 / 2240 prior to restoration: "It looked like it had been run over by two fast-moving coal trucks going in opposite directions." Somewhere in a long-ago newsletter there are photos of the car as it was found. It was, indeed, quite a mess.

I'm not aware of any hearses or ambulances on J chassis. There were plans afoot to build a woody wagon a few years ago but it never happened. Engines were used in boats and to run heavy equipment, more than one frame was used as the basis for a boat trailer, and then there was one car that was scrapped and its parts used in a breakwater.

As I said elsewhere on the forum recently, remember, they were just old cars, once upon a time.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
13 Feb 2011 18:31 #19225 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: J214 from clunker to glory
Chris,
Norman Arbour told me that the fenders that were on this car when it was a derelict were from a Sayre&Scoville ambulance.I knew one of the wheels didn't fit the hub and it was thought to be from a Stutz. Anyhow,the car went from a parts car to nicely restored for all to admire or wonder about.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• silverghost
More
13 Feb 2011 21:40 #19229 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
I know of few other great Full Classics that have had their engine, chassis, and bodies, mixed & matched-up as much as the Model "J" Duesenbergs.

I often wonder today how many model "J" s are still as they first left the factory & coachbuilder without any engine, chassis, bell-housing, gearbox & coachwork swaps ?

Does anyone have any idea about this ?
How many model"J" s are exactly as they first left the factory & their first coachbuilder ?
I would venture a guess that the percentage might be very low indeed !

One would think that such a rare & completely original model "J" auto might be very valuable despite it's less interesting & desirable body style.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
13 Feb 2011 22:27 #19230 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
I have a lot of projects waiting for me. Counting up how many cars are fully legit is among them.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Bob Roller
More
14 Feb 2011 19:05 #19251 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Original Duesenbergs
Still intact is a question. SJ525 I believe is still all together with the same engine,frame and body,a Brunn Convertible sedan. I THINK J540 might be mostly original with the driveshaft and rear axle assembly from J155 under it. The two SSJ's are probably all together. Repairs,be they major or minor can't be factored in because nobody really knows what was done and when. J164 may be original.I saw it at Auburn before restoration and it appeared to be as it should be.
The Ely Lilly Walker La Grande coupe no doubt is original.
I have heard that it was used as a push car and vehicle of all uses at a gas station or garage.Does anyone know for sure? J397,the Rudy Bauer Rollston CS is still as was even to the original 70 year old tires. I rode in it when it had about 11,000 miles on it. By "as was".I mean as Bauer owned it. It started out as somehing else earlier.
How about the surviving Judkins coupe? That seems to be as it was when new. J391,the "Tyrone Power car"was a MCS in the early 50's and possibly could be as it was.
Jay Leno's F.R.Wood and Son limo is original although the body came from God knows what. Aren't 11 of the 12 Beverly's still body-frame and engines as new.
This could go on for a long time and I have to leave.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
14 Feb 2011 19:14 #19252 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
I recently had the pleasure of seeing the ex-Harrah/Whittel Weymann speedster, which I guess I can safely refer to as J-508/2537, at the National Auto Museum in Reno.

Not sure how many miles on the car now but in 1987 it was less than 2,000 original miles.

The car is displayed with its original tires.

I would think this car defines the term "legit".

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds