Skip to main content

Domino's SJ Duesenberg.

• kedeuel2008
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2011 11:11 #19313 by kedeuel2008
Replied by kedeuel2008 on topic Domino's Duesenberg.
:D Here I thought that when I posted this that I would ever get these pictures. It never crossed my mind that I would get a picture of a Duesey Police Car !!!. That's great. Keep it coming. Thanx Kim :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2011 01:11 #19312 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.
Probably wishing that someone brought HIM martinis at crime scenes!

Thanks, Steve and A.J.!

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 23:43 #19310 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.
The car apparently won the "Police Chief's Award"

Not hard to see why.

More
18 Feb 2011 23:38 #19309 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 22:59 #19308 by Steve Derus
Chris,

that car was displayed at a show in Corona Del Mar CA in September 2010, owner listed as Lew Webb.
check this site for a photo, you may have to find it in a slideshow among other eye candy photos.

www.ocregister.com/articles/coro ... html?pic=1

Steve

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 22:02 #19307 by Chris Summers
That would be the car, Janst.

If anyone knows that car's current whereabouts, please let me know, it is one of those for which I do not know present ownership.

The Ft. Lauderdale Antique Car Museum (great Packard collection) and the Tampa Bay Auto Museum, both in Florida, and the Lane Motor Museum, in Nashville, TN, are similarly "rope-free." All three are very friendly, more like visiting someone's home and their (very large) garage than going to a museum. It helps that all three are, in fact, private collections that just happen to be open to the public by their generous caretakers.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Visitor
18 Feb 2011 21:44 #19306 by
Replied by on topic Re: J107

Bob Roller wrote: I talked with Dick Gold several times at Auburn over the years and was sorry to hear of his passing when he left us.
He owned one of my favorite Duesenbergs,J561 and he had another one,a Murphy CS with a wider than normal body and Zeiss head lights that turned with the steering gear.I never Knew its "J"number.

Bob Roller

Bob,
I hope these are the numbers of his Murphy Convertible Sedan
J-259/2280

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 20:37 #19305 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Domino's museum
Justin,
You have had an experience I will never have and that was getting behind the wheel of the Bugatti Royale,
I got to look at the one in the Ford Museum back in 1963 and I think it was a convertible and yellow in color.
I also saw the Duesenberg Victoria with a pan under the engine to catch all the oil that was dripping out of it,
This car was supposedly given to John Watson for helping to develop the shock absorbers for the "J".
That was a sorry way to display a Duesenberg and I hope they got it repaired.
Frank Lloyd Wright had an L29 coupe and I recall reading about it and him saying the payments on it drove them crazy for a while. Is this car displayed in the ACD Museum? Someone in his family had a Duesenberg Brunn Riviera CS,the one built without the supercharger.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 17:10 #19301 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.
In 1989 my family took a road trip and one of the stops was the Domino's museum. It was full of basically 2 types of items - cars and Frank Lloyd Wright stuff. I remember thinking that the FLW display looked like someone had demolished several of his houses and put the windows, doors and other interesting pieces in a big room. I found out later that was basically what was done due to the crazy high prices Monaghan paid for the items.

Anyway on the car side I remember the Duesenberg, a gorgeous Chrysler Imperial DCP and of course the Bugatti Royale. None of the cars were even roped off - they encouraged you to get close. One of the museum workers invited me to sit behind the wheel of the Bugatti. I remember thinking it was weird to sit in an $8M car and I also remember that the steering wheel had a clock in the center of it.

Granted I was only 14 at the time but those memories endure. I wonder what happened to all that FLW stuff......

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 04:35 #19298 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic J107
I talked with Dick Gold several times at Auburn over the years and was sorry to hear of his passing when he left us.
He owned one of my favorite Duesenbergs,J561 and he had another one,a Murphy CS with a wider than normal body and Zeiss head lights that turned with the steering gear.I never Knew its "J"number. He also had a H&D Victoria that looked like it had been porcenilized with clear laquer. A bit over done IMHO.
I remember seeing a picture of Monoghan driving J107 and looking rather uptight about the experience. If ever I paid the price of a very fine home for a car and then couldn't enjoy it,someone else would soon own it.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2011 22:31 #19294 by Chris Summers
The 1970s restoration of J-107 / 2131 was, I think, done for the late Richard Gold, who was the one who sold it to Tom Monaghan of Domino's at the Kruse Auburn sale in 1979 for $1 million. Monaghan slapped the Domino's Duesy sidemount covers on it and made the most, publicity-wise, of the record price. I think the car was displayed at Domino's Farms for a time.

I have to admit I've wondered what happened to those sidemount covers - probably thrown out with the trash, I imagine, although I like to think someone kept them, if only for the curiosity value.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2011 21:57 #19293 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.
Bob,

Harry's & especially Melvin's MCC were always among my favorites. Looking out the window of our Hotel Auburn room in the AM and seeing the Murphy & that green "Packard body" roadster parked at the curb like regular cars was always a treat.

Mike
8-100A

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2011 18:49 #19290 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic J107 to SJ and "Domino's"
Mike,
I didn't look really close at that car as there were others that had caught my attention like Harry VanIderstine's SJ and Melvin Clemans MCC. I walked up behind Melvin and asked him "If the clutch we put in that old clunker was still working"and he promptly answered without turning around and said "You must be from Huntington" .
That car had been cosmeticly restored and had red leather upholstery instead of the brown it had origianlly and the contrast was nice,red and black with 6 new wide whitewalls.
I am not currently a member and my membership over the years has been spasmodic but I am glad to be able to share some memories before I get too old and feeble minded.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2011 17:04 #19289 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Domino's SJ Duesenberg.
I agree with you Bob,

1986 was my first ACD Reunion, and what with all the hoop-la in the press about the million dollar car, we looked over the Domino's car pretty close. It was nice enough, but I for one sure didn't care for the color combination it was then.

Interestingly a friend & I joined the club (for half price I think) to get into Eckhart Park, then ended up staying members.

Mike
8-100A

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2011 20:09 #19285 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Domino's Duesy or J107 to SJ
Years ago,it was I believe one of the featured cars in a series of Road&Track articles about various classic cars that were being road tested on a monthly basis or at least the articles were so published.. The author on this particular car remembered seeing it when he was a youngster in NYC and tells of an elegantly dressed woman getting in it and the back seat piled up with hat and dress boxes she had just purchased from an upscale store.He said the sun reflected off of wind shields and wind wings and it was a sight to behold.He said he saw it later at a marina with a man driving up and exiting and then boarding a yacht. It was also mentioned that at some point in time,the supercharger was added and he thought it was sent to the factory in Indianapolis for this conversion to SJ.
The next association with it was when he drove it for the R&T article. I recall him saying that the size and the long hood and big headlights were reminiscent of the Cadillac V16 he had tested earlier but right there,ALL similarity stopped. When the car started to move he said the hand
of the great engineer,Fred Duesenberg could be felt and he also said to WATCH the speedometer as this car came up to illegal speeds quickly and with no real effort.
I think I have seen pictures of this car with someone giving a "V"sign after winning a race with it.
Wasn't this the first Duesenberg to crack the million dollar mark as well?
We saw it at Auburn in 1986 and while it was a nice looking car,it wasn't any nicer than some of the others
there in the park and it had canvas spare tire covers proclaiming it as "Domino's Duesy". My own reaction to those covers and ad was "Whee and whoopee". I was completely "underwhelmed".

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• kedeuel2008
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2011 09:17 #19221 by kedeuel2008
Replied by kedeuel2008 on topic Domino's Duesenberg.
:D Ok fellow Duesenberg dudes. Belive it or not. It took me most of the night
"Google-ing" for the Domino's Duesenberg. And I finally found it. And boy it's been beautyfully restored. Mr. Keller Did What I wish that I could have. Kim

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2011 21:05 #19211 by Chris Summers
The car is in the Keller family's collection in CA and was at Pebble Beach in 2007. It has been re-restored in black and maroon.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• kedeuel2008
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2011 04:07 #19207 by kedeuel2008
Replied by kedeuel2008 on topic NAM.
:D Steve. I'm gonna have'ta make that a summer vacation this year, sence it's only a 500 mile trip for me. (I'm just outside of Salt Lake City, Ut.). Thanx for the info. Kim

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2011 21:27 #19205 by Steve Derus
If my information is correct, that is 2131/J107. I show it being in Peteluma CA, restored in black/red and exhibited at Pebble Beach 2007.

Chris may have more current whereabouts.

BTW, if you ever get to Reno, visit the National Auto Museum, there are several ACD cars on exhibit, including the Phantom Corsair, an Auburn 12 speedster, a Model A Duesenberg roadster, an L29 Cord, a Westchester Cord, a Beverly Cord, the Cord LeBaron limo, and a Model J Duesenberg Murphy sedan. Right now the Duesenberg Weymann boatail speedster is also on display in a special but temporary exhibit honoring Bill Harrah's 100th birthday.

Steve Derus

• kedeuel2008
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2011 03:29 #19186 by kedeuel2008
Domino's SJ Duesenberg. was created by kedeuel2008
:D Ok now that I have my first post out. Now it's time for my first question.
Does anyone know where the Domino's Pizza Duesy is?. It was for sale in 1995 through RM Classics in Canada. And I have some pictures of it. At the time (1995) it needed a minor resto. so it's possible that the colors have been changed from it's 1995 colors which were Tan and Maroon. It would be nice to know where it ended-up. Thanx Kim :D