Skip to main content

Update ~Where is this Rochester Duesenberg walking beam engine now?

• george albright
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2019 16:56 #36797 by george albright
Dear Friends I just stumbled on this thread. Tragically, Brad Hunter died in 2013. Does anyone know where this Rochester Duesenberg walking beam engine ended up? My Dreyer race car, the Don Moore Special, was built in 1930 with a WB engine that was removed in the 1940s. Would like to find this motor to install in my car. Leads of its ownership appreciated! Thanks,George Albright ACD Member. Ocala,Fla. cell 352 843 1624 email [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2011 21:51 #21158 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Update ~
I have had no additional success contacting the older owner of this engine.
It is said by his older neighbors that he is now ill and, living with his daughter.
I left a note in his mailbox early this summer and have never received any phone calls , nor notes in reply.
I will keep trying to contact them this fall now that I have returned home to PA from a summer long vacation in Ocean City NJ.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jul 2011 18:05 #20518 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: Rochester Duesenberg Engine,Clutch,Gearbox

silverghost wrote: Rochester Duesenberg Engine, Clutch, Gearbox + racing radiator.

I was just contacted by an old Antique car friend of my Late 92 year old father today.
In our conversation he said that he would like to sell a few items in his garages~

He claims he has a 4 cylinder Rochester~Duesenberg Racing Engine with clutch, gearbox & radiator that he has owned for 60 years.
It was supposedly taken out of a small race car in the Main Line Philadelphia area.
He stated it is a walking-beam style engine.
It is said to be in complete condition ! ?

I plan on going to look at this, as well as some other items that he wishes to "Clean-Out ! "
I have not inspected it as of today~

My questions to the forum are~~~
Are there any really good photos of these engines on the web ? I have not spotted any !

How can I properly ID this engine as a Rochester-Duesenberg RACING engine?
What should I be looking for here ?

Are there any casting , or serial numbers & if so~~~ Where are they located ?

These engines were also used in some odd brand autos~~Argonne, Roamer, Revere, Kenworthey, and Biddle (Made in Philadelphia !) & some others~
But NOT in racing form ~~ Am I correct ?

Would the racing version be of all aluminum construction while the standard outomobile unit have a cast-iron block/head unit on an aluminum crankcase ?
Did the racing version have additional valves; 16 vs 8 ?

I know very little about these early "walking- beam" engines. I did see one years ago at the Brass In Bucks County Meet and Tour in Doylestown PA a number of years ago in a restored early Duesenberg torpedo-style former Indy racing car.
Sadly I do not remember very much about it .

I really have no use and have little interest in it myself ~

I have no idea what it may be worth; nor what to offer the seller ?

It may possibly make a great museum display engine?
If it is indeed a vintage racing engine perhapps some vintage racer may like it also?

Does anyone here have an interest in this engine ?

I will inspect it, and hopefully take some digital photos after the New Year !
We shall see what he does indeed have there.

Any information on how to identify,or photos of similar existing engines, greatly appreciated~~

Thank's

Hello Brad,

I had never known what the walking beam engine design meant. So I did a little research.
I found a site with a (color) photo of a 1915 Rochester Duesenberg 4 cyl. 16 valve walking beam racing engine.

This photo could be interesting for you, here is the link: theoldmotor.com/?s=walking+beam The photo is in middle of the site.

Matt

P.S.: Do you habe purchased the engine?

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Barrie Hutchinson
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2011 23:56 #19235 by Barrie Hutchinson
A color photo of the Rochester-Duesenberg G-1 engine, left side, plus limited information is contained on page 35 of "The Reunion, Number Two" edited by Dr. John Baeke.

CORDially, Barrie

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2011 18:36 #19148 by silverghost
UPDATE:

I have not been able to actually view this engine in person as of 2/4/11 as there is now a three foot drift of snow that has turned into hard ice blocking the garage doors where the engine is stored.

The engine is safe & is not going anywhere soon !

I, and another ACD Club & forum member, plan on inspecting this engine as soon as the Ice & snow clears.

Stay tuned for a photo update !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2010 00:54 #18845 by silverghost
Rochester Duesenberg Engine,Clutch,Gearbox was created by silverghost
Rochester Duesenberg Engine, Clutch, Gearbox + racing radiator.

I was just contacted by an old Antique car friend of my Late 92 year old father today.
In our conversation he said that he would like to sell a few items in his garages~

He claims he has a 4 cylinder Rochester~Duesenberg Racing Engine with clutch, gearbox & radiator that he has owned for 60 years.
It was supposedly taken out of a small race car in the Main Line Philadelphia area.
He stated it is a walking-beam style engine.
It is said to be in complete condition ! ?

I plan on going to look at this, as well as some other items that he wishes to "Clean-Out ! "
I have not inspected it as of today~

My questions to the forum are~~~
Are there any really good photos of these engines on the web ? I have not spotted any !

How can I properly ID this engine as a Rochester-Duesenberg RACING engine?
What should I be looking for here ?

Are there any casting , or serial numbers & if so~~~ Where are they located ?

These engines were also used in some odd brand autos~~Argonne, Roamer, Revere, Kenworthey, and Biddle (Made in Philadelphia !) & some others~
But NOT in racing form ~~ Am I correct ?

Would the racing version be of all aluminum construction while the standard outomobile unit have a cast-iron block/head unit on an aluminum crankcase ?
Did the racing version have additional valves; 16 vs 8 ?

I know very little about these early "walking- beam" engines. I did see one years ago at the Brass In Bucks County Meet and Tour in Doylestown PA a number of years ago in a restored early Duesenberg torpedo-style former Indy racing car.
Sadly I do not remember very much about it .

I really have no use and have little interest in it myself ~

I have no idea what it may be worth; nor what to offer the seller ?

It may possibly make a great museum display engine?
If it is indeed a vintage racing engine perhapps some vintage racer may like it also?

Does anyone here have an interest in this engine ?

I will inspect it, and hopefully take some digital photos after the New Year !
We shall see what he does indeed have there.

Any information on how to identify,or photos of similar existing engines, greatly appreciated~~

Thank's