Duesenbergs in Argentina

• Robbie Marenzi
  • Robbie Marenzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
26 Jul 2011 02:31 #20575 by Robbie Marenzi
Robbie Marenzi replied the topic:
Sorry I forgot to mention the pictures were taken in Buenos Aires, according to the article in 1933, but I'm sure it's one more mistake, to begin with, the car has a 1935 Chrysler grille, my guess is that it's during WWII and that's why it has those very worn spares, it?s not a question of money, it's just that no new tyres were available, the car belonged to a very wealthy person that racer for fun.
The spares are definitely worn out, maybe the scanned pictures do not show properly, but there?s no cover on them, left wheel even has threads coming through the rubber, on the other hand, the four tyres on the car look new.
Can anybody tell me about the Ray Day pistons and connecting rods, did all Duesenberg J engines have them, or were they available on special order or maybe an aftermarket option?

Robbie Marenzi
ACD Club Member
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Robbie Marenzi
ACD Club Member
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2011 15:29 #20576 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
Ray Day is the oem mfg for Duesenberg pistons . The SJ rods are made by Duesenberg Inc. Randy

More
11 Dec 2013 13:36 #26463 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
J292 is coming up for Auction at BJ next month.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/scottsdale/

• Robbie Marenzi
  • Robbie Marenzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
12 Dec 2013 12:56 #26473 by Robbie Marenzi
Robbie Marenzi replied the topic:
I thought the car was at a museum in Japan?
Auction description: "Photos indicate that, at that time, the car was in rather dilapidated condition and was reportedly modified for racing with a shortened chassis and updated coachwork. After tending to the various body and chassis issues, the car was sold....."
They don't seem to think it's important to mention that the chassis was replaced with 2606 and that a new rear section of the body was built?

Robbie Marenzi
ACD Club Member
Buenos Aires
Argentina

More
12 Dec 2013 19:21 #26476 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
As with all auction buying you really need to know what you are doing before you show up and bid. I have some warm personal memories of this car and I think the history is really cool, but perhaps not all buyers would feel the same way. Will be interesting to see how it does. I hope the Mormon Meteor style blower is still on the car.

More
15 Dec 2013 22:12 #26496 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

alsancle wrote: As with all auction buying you really need to know what you are doing before you show up and bid. I have some warm personal memories of this car and I think the history is really cool, but perhaps not all buyers would feel the same way. Will be interesting to see how it does. I hope the Mormon Meteor style blower is still on the car.

Hello,

100% agreement with your thoughts.

Regarding to the B.J.-announcement photos, it looks (to me) that it would be the "original" two-carb blower "on board". But I am not an expert...

Here is the link to the B.-J. photos http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... 48&aid=525

Robbie Marenzi mentioned that the original "shortened" chassis was replaced by chassis 2606, if I got it right, that chassis originally depended to a J(N?) Rollston Convertible Sedan (J-581).

At the Curtright-website that car (J-581) is stated as "destroyed" with a questionmark. Does anyone knows what happened to that car? Accident, fire or wrecking?

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds