Duesenberg in the movie "Small Town Girl"?

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 Sep 2010 13:33 #18007 by Joel
Joel created the topic: Duesenberg in the movie "Small Town Girl"?
I watched the 1936 movie Small Town Girl last night, there was alot of action in a Duesenberg Murphy Convertible Coupe. Very well worth watching!

Does anybody know what car it is?

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
16 Sep 2010 13:58 #18009 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Duesenberg in movie
Joel.
Was Fred Astair in it? That car was J108 and as far as I know,it still exists. I don't remember movie titles but lately have started watching old B&W's on the TCM channel because they usually lack all the filthy language and moral and mental bankruptcy of todays so called entertainment.
I recall one old movie that had reference to a Duesenberg but the car was never seen,only heard.
The line that caught my attention was when the man driving it pulled into a gas station/roadside eatery and and told the attendant to fill it up and then went into the eatery and asked how far it was to someplace,and the waitress said it was about 115 miles and he said,"I,ve got an hour and enough time for ham sandwich and a cup of coffee",which prompted a question from the waitress as to "What are you driving"? and the answer was."a Duesenberg".

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
16 Sep 2010 15:17 #18011 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
Bob, the movie with Fred Astair and J108 was "the Gay Divorcee" . The cool part of that movie is the chase Scene, where The lovely Ginger Rogers, driving the Duesy, is chased down by Astair in his MG. (like he'd have a chance!) She thows the big J into the turns on a country road and has tires sliding and gravel flying!

In Small Town Girl, Robert Taylor drives the Duesy like a drunken idiot, hitting other cars as he forces his way through busy city traffic, fly's down gravel county roads at scary speeds, and ends up loosing control and crashing into a creek!

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 Sep 2010 20:18 #18018 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
In the Gay Divorcee chase does she hit a tree? There is a picture of a Duesenberg that has hit a tree with a pretty girl in it.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
16 Sep 2010 23:26 #18020 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
No the accident car is a Bohman&Schwartz conv coupe J386 Randy

• Bob Roller
More
09 Jun 2011 19:01 #20257 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Duesenbergs in movies (again)
I am watching "Small Town Girl" as I write this and am glad to see a Duesenberg being driven at speeds over 30MPH. The drunken character played by Robert Taylor was not impressive but the girl and the car were. Which car was it? It looked like a LWB Murphy to me.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds