Murphy Convertible Coupe

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
10 Oct 2009 03:16 #14618 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Not J-284, which is one single shade of red. (Photo by Robert Armstrong, taken at 2007 Pebble Beach Concours.)

Not J-345, which has one-piece Monel side exhaust, no trunk, etc. (Also a Robert Armstrong photo, taken at PBC when the car was for sale from the Blackhawk Collection.)

The car that was built as J-401 / 2406 has engine J-527 now and is a single shade of maroon ("garnet red"). It was sold by RM Auctions at Monterey this August.

The car built as J-327 / 2340 has engine J-401 now and is white with red upholstery. It was sold by RM at Amelia Island this March.

[All the more reason to stop what we're all guilty of (myself included) and using J-numbers alone to identify Duesenbergs.]

I don't think that the car in the picture is any of the above. It looks a LOT like J-321 / 2186, which the Blackhawk Collection had for sale at Pebble Beach in 1999. This car is one on which my information is conflicting, but it originally had engine J-165.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 16:20 #14635 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
I think I found a puzzle piece on the unidentified red car. I was just searching the internet and ran across this site and photo. It sure looks like the same car.....trunk, color, driving lights, external exhaust. Only problem is the numbers on the car are not mentioned. What it does say is the car is in a museum, and that is where the photo was taken. Anyone recognize it now?
Steve Derus

http://www.johnroscigno.com/2009/07/193 ... pe-by.html

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
12 Oct 2009 16:38 #14636 by Chris Summers
Petersen Museum (only place on Earth with both a gold-plated DeLorean and a Bugatti Veyron...). I don't think they own this car however, which means it would be on-loan. It is currently part of their ongoing exhibit on California-bodied automobiles.

Who's up for a trip to Los Angeles? :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

More
12 Oct 2009 16:47 #14637 by Steve Derus
Now we know where the car is (or was). I checked the Petersen Website and nothing there about the car.
I know Randy could solve this one but he hasn't weighed in.

Steve D.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
12 Oct 2009 16:50 #14638 by Chris Summers
Is. Check out the California Car Design exhibit. Scroll down to the end where it shows a list of cars on exhibit. "1932 DUESENBERG SJ" appears right below the Hudson, with no picture.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

More
12 Oct 2009 17:33 #14639 by Steve Derus
Chris,
Looking at the Petersen photo do you think it might be the car that janst was asking about?

Steve

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds