Skip to main content

Duesy Roadster in Switzerland

More
03 Sep 2004 19:57 #2163 by 250cal
Replied by 250cal on topic 2227/J135 Duesenberg Roadster
I dug out the Kruse 1990 Auction catalog and as soon as I scan the small colored photo will email you a copy. Its a very neat looking car looks like a replica of the short wheel base factory SSJ's

Incidentally we still don't know who made the body whether it was started by Carter and finish later by Al Prueitt, who advertised the car and showed it at the June 1987 Gilmore Museum Show, or was it a new body made by Pruitt?

After writing the above- I picked up the phone and had a great conversation this afternoon, with Al Pruiett of Al Pruiett and Sons in Glen Rock PA. He is still in business, at 80 yrs old, with his sons and this is what he told me.

2004 September 3, Telephone call between John Apen and Al Prueitt of Glen Rock PA. Story of roadster, J135, that Pruitt sold around 1988.

Engine, J135, came from Guardenino Museum in May 1964, Pruitt had purchased the entire collection from the estate for Gene Zimmermann in PA. Engine was like new. He bought fenders, hood and ? from Al Bittner? Other parts from Marshall Merkes and more parts from Melvin Clemens. The frame came from John North (see J113) , who said Jim Hoe had modified in the 40?s. (All these people were very active in the U. S. Duesenberg market in the 40's to the 60's
Pruiett and his sons built the car, they are a coachworks. Tax problems caused him to sell the car around 1988.
About two years ago he got a letter and photos from a couple in England who had bought the car at auction, and he responded with the history he knew.

More details next week when Al has more time to talk., he promised to call me back. Please email photos to <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. Big files are oK I have DSL high speed connection.

John Apen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jeraoul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2004 13:33 #2161 by jeraoul
Replied by jeraoul on topic Duesy in Switzerland
Thanks for all these very interesting informations regarding the "shortened" Duesy now living in Switzerland. It sounds that it is the Carter's car you describe. I'll translateit into french and forward your message to the owner, who'll certainly be pleased to know a bit more on his car. Tell me how I could post you some pictures of this car, and I'll do it. Sorry, but I just don't understand how this could be done on this site?

More
02 Sep 2004 18:09 #2158 by 250cal
Replied by 250cal on topic Duesy Roadster in Switzerland
Looks like you've found the lost Carter Roadster project, which may have been sold at auctiion in Texas. Please email me a photo if possible to compare with the photos in Kruse catalogs of 1990 and 1989 Also photo in the CCCA magazine, December 1987. See below:

Summary 2004 :Body of 2227 destroyed and chassis shortened to 124" for Speedster project that was never finished. Engine, J207, from Derham sedan, 2227 was put in chassis 2140, a Murphy Convertible Coupe body by Tom Carter in the 50's. Did J112 and shortened chassis survive?

1992 February, ACD Newsletter v35 #2p17: History of Maryland Duesenbergs by J Francis Wernath: Earnest C Guth owned 2227/J207, a Derham sedan in New York city in the 30's but it is not known for sure if he was the original owner He moved to Baltimore in the early 40's to start his own soda bottling plant...... it was not used during WW II due to gas rationing Mr. Guth died in 1948. and the next year the car was bought by Tom Carter (who died at 50 in 1978) The car was White and had black leather in the front and grey fabric in the rear. Tom Carter took the engine fom the Derham and put it in his Murphy Convertible Coupe 2140/J112. the body of the Derham no longer exists or has been thought to have been scrapped. Tom begain to build a Speedster around the engine J112 and the frame from the Derham sedan, 2227, which he shorten to a 124" wheelbase. This project was never completed. Rumor has it that Tom also had the engine from J135 and other parts which were from a Willoughby Limo.

Summry 2004: Where is this Speedster, J135, now? and what frame is it on.
1991 February, Car Collector p69, report on Kruse Uncertain Texas Auction, October 20,1990 Brief mention. No pic or other info.
1990 October 20, Kruse Uncertain Texas Auction, Cat small color photo p24 Maroon with red back and interior. Looks the same as Roe's photo below.
1989 August 29, Kruse Auburn catalog Front page. Small colored photo. 1929 J135 BT Speedster, totally rebuilt and restored.
1987 December, TCC p47 at the Gilmore museum "Duesenberg Experience" J135, owner Al Prueitt. Small photo, resembles SSJ's. Has lowered frame, set back engine, room for 2 and not much else . A J can't be shrunk much more
1987 October, ACD newsletter #10, p 21: Ad from Al Prueitt for 1929 rebodied boattail speedster. Newely restored, runs and drives perfectly reasonable trades accepted $400,000 , (J135) 717-235-3297
1982 Roe, The Pursuit of Perfection p278: List of engine/chassis #'s believed to be fitted with replica Derham Tourster. But see above photo
1975 Elbert p179 2328/J135. Chassis sale. But J135 not original engine (probable). Body Willoughby Limousine.
1968 AACA Roster p17 Owner E. W. Zimmerman, J135/no chassis #. Listed as 5P Sedan

John Apen

• jeraoul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Dec 2003 10:00 #1087 by jeraoul
Replied by jeraoul on topic Images on demand
I've got now pictures of Duesenberg #2227. But because it sounds very tricky (if not impossible) to post it directly to the forum, I suggest that people interested in looking at it may contact me : I'll e-mail the pictures asap.
I can add that this car is now in the swiss automobile foundation Charles G. Renaud, near Neauchatel, with nearly 120 other top level cars. I mean things like Isotta Fraschini 8A roadster, Hispano Suiza, several Rolls-Royces, pre-war Bentleys (including a 8 Litres) Packards of the 20's, Bugattis, Cadillac V16, Marmon V16? or a Cord 812 Sportsman. After WWII, you could see a handfull of Ferraris (225 S, 250 GT Lusso, 275 GTB, Daytona), Lamborghini Miura, Porsche 959, Pagani Zonda. It's just unbelivable !

• jeraoul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2003 09:03 #1078 by jeraoul
Replied by jeraoul on topic Thank you
Thanks for your informations. I'll join some pictures of the car as soon as I'll get it.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2003 02:09 #1077 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Duesy Roadster in Switzerland
My literature notes that engine J135 was originally installed in chassis 2328. The original body was a long wheelbase Willoughby limousine. Same source notes chassis 2227, which was short wheelbase, carried J207 and a Derham sedan body.

Perhaps someone else will weigh in with current info.

Mike

Mike
8-100A

• jeraoul
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2003 14:58 #1062 by jeraoul
Duesy Roadster in Switzerland was created by jeraoul
Hello everybody
I've recently driven a Duesenberg J in Switzerland. Even if I'm a motorcar journalist, needless to say that this was the dream of a lifetime? Even on twisty montain roads, the Duesy is a wonderful car. The experience was far too short (only 30 minutes). But this was enough to get some informations on the huge power available, even at 500 rpm in third gear, the efficiency of the brakes, and the softness of the steering, really unbelivable on such a big pre-war car.
The only problem with this car is that nobody has been able to tell me who was responsible for the body. Now, it's a well made roadster, but I suspect that this is not its original body. Sorry, I've no pictures to join. But I can quote the chassis and engine numbers : chassis 2227, engine J135. I'll be happy to collect information about this car, in order to write a proper article in the french Sport-Auto.
If someone could help me... Thanks in advance