Twin carbed Duesnebergs

• West Peterson
  • West Peterson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
13 Jan 2009 22:22 #12400 by West Peterson
West Peterson created the topic: Twin carbed Duesnebergs
This weekend, I visited a collection that had two twin-carbed Duesenbergs. Is there a list of Duesenbergs that have the twin set-up? How many are there?
I understand that the Mormon Meteor's carburetors are different than the others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2009 03:56 #12405 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:
Hey West, I thought that was you. What did you think about the shop we saw earlier? Some wild stuff there to be sure.

I think the dual carb cars were rare, but like the blowers, a few more exist now than left the factory that way. Hopefully someone will weigh in and enlighten us.

Mike
8-100A

• West Peterson
More
14 Jan 2009 12:51 #12409 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
Hi Mike
Yes, I went to Zakira's Garage as well. In fact, we bought the 1911 Regal Underslung that was there.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
14 Jan 2009 16:04 #12412 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
The convertible coupe you saw has engine J-572 installed (it was originally J-240). Melvin Clemans was the one who put J-572 in the car, and during his ownership the car had dual carburetors with a single manifold; I don't know if he put those on the engine or not. It didn't work too well; supposedly at 85 mph it acted like it was running out of gas.

Nice new toy, West. A substitute for the blue Packard that didn't arrive on Christmas morning?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
14 Jan 2009 18:38 #12417 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
I believe that Leo Gephart's first run of blowers back in the 70s (25 units) were all dual carb. Ted Billing's dual cowl that came out of South America in the early 60s was supposed to have one of the spare engines from the Mormon Meteor. I have a picture of the engine circa 1971 (prior to Leo's project) with the dual carbs. I'm just guessing, but I think there were a total of 5 with duals? The two SSJs, the MM, and two spare engines from the MM.

• West Peterson
More
14 Jan 2009 18:50 #12418 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
From what you say, it sounds like pretty much all that we see today are the units that Gephart built. I know that the Deloris Del Rio Murphy Town Car and Arturro Keller's LeGrande phaeton both have (had??) dual carbs. They were both owned by Dick Gold at one time, so I'm not sure if he moved the unit back and forth between cars, or if he installed the set-up on both cars.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds