Please ID this LWB Murphy Convertable Coupe

• West Peterson
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
22 Aug 2011 15:57 #20798 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
... and at the end of the day, when the lights go out, we may discover the truth.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
More
22 Aug 2011 16:15 #20799 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Multi million $$ cars
OK,let's assume someone will pay 10 or 15 million or more for a car of any kind. Just what will they do with it,take it on a trip or get ulcers the size of horse turds at car shows worrying about someone getting to close to it.
In 1973,there was a National Car Show here in Huntington and it turned out some nice cars, No Duesenbergs but Al Ferrara was there and we talked about the performance of the SSJ and had a good talk about Duesenbergs in general. While we were talking,a fellow parked a good looking Rolls/Royce near us and beside a 1934 Packard 12 LeBaron Phaeton. Our youngest son,Eric was about 13 months old and in a stroller and he reached out as if to touch the Rolls and the owner blew up and thereatened to "break that kid's arm" if he touched it. I advised him against even attempting that stupid move in NO uncertain terms.That little boy and the stroller were not close enough to the car to be reached. If these cars are such a source of worry so as to prompt such an outburst,I would keep them at home.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
22 Aug 2011 17:29 #20800 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
Hey Bob, The arm breaking threat was way out of line, but there are certain car guys who are that way, regardless of the caliber of car. I was on Hot Rods power Tour in June with my 67 Olds 442 Convert, and I ran out of gas in some small town in Northern Florida. I coasted into a parking lot, then walked to a nearby stop light, hoping to catch a ride with another passing Power Tour car. I walked up to a 70 Chevelle, started to put my hand on the door top as I leaned over to ask for help though the open window. The driver went ballistic, screaming "don't touch the car!" several times with his neck veins bulging and his head turning beat red. He looked like he was either totally panicking or very angry.

Personnaly, I don't think it hurts a car to touch it. But some folks don't agree with that, it's their car, so they have a right to protect it from whatever they percieve to be a threat. But they should do so with proper manners unless the situation warrants otherwise.

I would suppose that most folks who can afford a 10 million dollar Duesy can probably also afford a million dollar beater Duesy to knock around in and save the the expensive car for special occaisions. :D

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

More
22 Aug 2011 18:04 #20801 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Bob, a guy threatening to break a small child's arm for any reason has some bad issues.

The thing you have to remember about the buyer of this car is that everything is relative. As the car may only represent 5 or 10 % of his net worth he may be less apprehensive about it than I was with my 69 GTO in high school. That car represented 100% of my net worth and I was always worried about it, although I don't think I ever yelled at anyone for touching it :D

• West Peterson
More
22 Aug 2011 18:13 #20802 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
I see people yelling at their own kids to not touch the cars. Guess what's probably going to happen to the cars when the old man takes the big dirt nap? Yup. Those cars are gone. How fast can you get 'em out of here?

• Bob Roller
More
22 Aug 2011 18:27 #20803 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Million$ cars
Al,
I can understand a high school student having 100% of his net worth in a car,especially if it is his first. My first one was a 1935 Packard Super Eight Convertible coupe with 6 wire wheels and rumble seat. Can someone tell me what is "Super" about a flathead engine. I think it was 385CID. I never swore at or threatened anyone who got close to it
You are right about that guy theatening an infant with violence. He has issues I don't understand.Some of my friends,Chris and others know that I am NEVER without my revolver,it goes where I go and if I don't have it,I have a Colt 45 automatic in its place. That day in 1973,I had another 45 automatic with me that now belongs to the the little boy that was threatened.He is now 39 and has a daughter and son of his own. I gave the gun to him when he and his wife bought a fine new home in one of the best sections of Huntington.
Like others,I enjoy fine things whether they are mine or not and I learned a long time ago that they are temporary and we are only custodians so I don't get my shirt in a knot easily unless it is due to an eminent threat of real harm to me or my family.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds