Skip to main content

Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?

• georgealbright
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2007 18:01 #8273 by georgealbright
Replied by georgealbright on topic Duesenberg/White Transmission from Jim Hoe Car F/S
I own the original White trans. that Jim Hoe mofified for J-183 and raced several times in the early 1950s. I believe it is a 5 speed. It went to Dee Howard of Texas along with the J 183 running gear. Dee restored the running gear with an original Warner T 72 trans. I bought J 183 from Dee,but have since sold J 183 to Bernie Aaron of Ontario,Canada.I have a circa 1980 letter from Jim Hoe to Dee howard discussing this very trans,and how Jim put a tall 3rd gear in it. It even still has the Duesy braking drum on it in the back,for the auxil. operated brake.Jim wrote a 3 page letter on how to install White trans. in Duesys,based on this very trans. Bellhousing needs a couple of outside cracks welded-other than that it is super nice,even painted Duesy green by Jim. Photos avail. I need to know if you want it ASAP,as I am loading up at my garage for Hershey tomorrow/Friday. I leave Sun. Will be at Brian Josephs space # CD 90-91 Tues thru Thurs till 2 PM ONLY,then back to Fla. Price for trans is $4,000.00 firm. George Albright ,Ocala,Fla. Cell 352 843 1624 Email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] PS I am taking a truck load of Duesy parts for sale,at Brians space. A list of parts and prices are in the Duesenberg parts for sale forum below.

George Albright Cell 352 843 1624

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2007 22:23 #8256 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?

West Peterson wrote: The Rollson-bodied six-fender sedan uses (or did at one time) a 1937 Packard transmission. Very smooth shifting, but only a three speed. The car used to be owned by Gene Cofer. I don't know if his son has sold it yet or not. At one time it was for sale.

One can't tell for certain from this picture, but it looks like it may still have the Packard tranny in it by the apparent rearward position of the shifter tower.

I hope that hot-linking this picute from their site is not a problem.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2007 20:06 #8254 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
Sorry. Interested in either. Would prefer original but I have a feeling that that is going to be quite hard to find. If you have a lead on a White I would appreciate it.

A.J.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2007 16:01 #8251 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
Al
Are you looking for a White? or a Duesenberg. I can't quite tell with that response. I might have a lead on a White.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2007 14:51 #8249 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
Thanks for the info. How hard is it to find a White these days? We could use an original transmission (car is a rebody) but those are scarce these days. Last original one I saw Tom Crook sold for 25k I think about 10 years ago.

A.J.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2007 18:06 #8235 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
The Cofers' website still shows it.

www.thecofercollection.com/1935D ... odelJ.html

The tranny in J-528 was a Clark.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Oct 2007 14:39 #8228 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
The Rollson-bodied six-fender sedan uses (or did at one time) a 1937 Packard transmission. Very smooth shifting, but only a three speed. The car used to be owned by Gene Cofer. I don't know if his son has sold it yet or not. At one time it was for sale.

• bill powell
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2007 00:13 #8206 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
They're real easy to spot. Look for the big PTO adapter plate hanging down toward the bottom of the transmission case. I'll check tomorrow and see if we have any truck conversions.

• bill powell
  • Visitor
28 Sep 2007 23:42 #8202 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
We used to have a '29 Murphy with a White 5 speed, fifth gear overdrive. It was sold to the Blackhawk years ago.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2007 19:30 #8198 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J?
It was usually a White truck transmission. Jim Hoe's Sportcar Garage in CT made something of a specialty out of the conversion over the years.

J-528, the black Riviera Phaeton John O'Quinn has now, had one in the 1950s, installed by a group of talented young mechanics at Irwin's Tire Service in Huntington, W.V. (I drive by its former location every time I go to the movies, and every time wish it was 50 years earlier.) One of those mechanics told me that the finished car, with additional engine modifications, went 140 mph over the measured mile on a straight stretch of road.

Rick Carroll undid all the mods and put in a real Duesy tranny in the 1980s.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• alsancle
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2007 17:52 #8196 by alsancle
Truck 4 speed Conversion for Model J? was created by alsancle
My dad is telling me that back in the early 50s there were a bunch of guys that swapped out a truck 4 speed for the standard Model J 3 speed. The 4 speed had synchro on the top 3 gears and was a big improvement over the original tranny. Does anyone recall what transmission this was? I understand it was a very easy swap.