Duesenberg Clear Vision

• bill powell
  • bill powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2007 18:34 #7294 by bill powell
bill powell created the topic: Duesenberg Clear Vision
I have been working the last few days on a 1929 Duesenberg Clear Vision sedan that has turned from a lady to an absolute bitch. You can see a picture of it on the Amelia Island 2007 photo gallery.

I took the car to Amelia Island, and for the most part it ran great right up to where I parked it on the grass at Amelia. After the show was over it refused to start. After it got back to Houston we checked it and I determined tha one intake valve per cylinder was stuck full open. A couple of the valves were so tight that they made a creaking sound when they moved. Making them move. With the intake manifold off I was able to poke a heat gun right up to the lifter through the inlet ports. After a certain amount of time the guides would swell from the heat and the valves would close. But after the guides cool the valves stick again. I don't know for sure if it was heat expansion, or if it was melting whatever had the valve stem glued tight.

I was going to yank the head last week and do a valve job but my partner raised so much hell I'm trying to free with heat and movement. I'm soaking the valve stems over the weekend in Sea Foam, and if they're not better by monday morning, OFF WID 'ER HEAD.

I would almost swear that some one poured syrup in the gas tank. I know it has given someone hell before cause it has all new fuel lines and new pump.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2007 21:06 #7355 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic: clear vision
I finally did what i shouLd have done two weeks ago, and pulled the head on the clear vision. It turns out the car was the victim. Someone had poured brown sugar in the gas, and it had caramelized in the intake, cylinder head, and valve train.

I've ordered all the parts, including one intake valve. I have til the last of July to get it running, so my partner and I have lots of time.

The rear cylinder had had a problem for a while, cause seven of the exhaust ports had dry carbon build-up, and the rear one had a thick layer of greasy carbon build-up. I've de-carbed the piston tops and all the valves and am in the process of doing the head.

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR IT AT MEADOWBROOK.

More
01 Jul 2007 14:17 #7359 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Bill,

Are you saying somebody spiked the tank while you were at the show??

A.J.

More
01 Jul 2007 16:25 #7363 by acdclubadmin
acdclubadmin replied the topic: Duesenberg Clear Vision
Is this the car? If not, please post a photo.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• bill powell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Jul 2007 20:05 #7367 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
Oh, no, I'm not saying that at all. It may have been done an owner ago. It started giving a little trouble while loading it go to Amelia, and then settled down. I guess parking it the show finally totally stuck it.

Thanks for posting the photos. I love that overhead shot. Yes, that is the car, and it will be at Meadowbrook.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
02 Jul 2007 13:14 #7371 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
How did you determine that the culprit was sugar? The "sugar in the gas tank legend" is just that. Sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. It may clog fuel filters, but cannot make your valves stick.

See http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds