Skip to main content

'59 Duesenberg?

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
08 Apr 2008 21:02 #9840 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic '59 Duesenberg?
Jose
I think Chris alluded to Al Ferrara having the Judkins coupe where that engine was originally placed. If you want to know for sure, I'd seek counsel from Randy Ema.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2008 14:25 #9825 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic '59 Duesenberg?
We're taking eight cars, with not a single Duesenberg in the bunch. This year is the hundred year anniversary of the New York to Paris race, so we're taking a Thomas Flyer, a Stutz, a 540K, a Packard four passenger victoria coupe, the blue car with the umbrella, and the black 1926 Ghost, and a 1928 Cadillac, the green sedan.

• DriverSource
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2008 15:23 #9823 by DriverSource
Replied by DriverSource on topic Kollins LeGrande Duesenberg
Hello Bill,

It was a pleasure seeing the cars the other day!

Have they decided what's going to keels and wheels?

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2008 00:41 #9820 by bill powell
It left the birthing house as a Judkins Victoria 4 passenger coupe. I have not seen a four passenger coupe lying about, so maybe it got scrapped

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Apr 2008 00:37 #9819 by bill powell
Hello Jose.

• DriverSource
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2008 21:56 #9817 by DriverSource
Replied by DriverSource on topic 1958 Kollins LeGrande Duesenberg
Gentleman,

I am please to inform every one that the 1958 Mike Kollins LeGrande Duesenberg is in great car at DriverSource in Houston TX.

This is truly a unique car and every time I look at it I am reminded of the unique story and history behind it. The car has not been repainted or restored. It remains in its original condition.

We will be displaying the car at this years 2008 Keels and Wheels Concours in Seabrook TX.

I joined this chatroom to trying and find out who has the chassis to engine J-333 which is in this car. Does anyone know? I will be more than happy to answer any questions that pertain to this car and will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I am planning to put it on the market soon. The documented history and original pictures that we have add a lot of value. I think this would make a great museum car!

I will post the picture on DriverSource.com soon.

Thank you,

Jose Romero

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2007 14:52 #8286 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic '59 Duesenberg?
I supplied Randy with a photo of the 1979 Duesenberg last year. It was on AHO the last I checked. There's a big full-color article in Consumer Guide's "Elite Cars" book.

According to Vol. 30, No. 4 of Automobile Quarterly, this car was "last reported in decrepit condition in a Chicago parking lot." This was in summer 1992.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2007 14:33 #8285 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic '59 Duesenberg?
The Kollins D was essentially a Duesenberg engine in a foreign chassis with a custom body. I think Randy's original question was about a modern (awful) looking car that was to be the new 197? Duesenberg. Looked like a contemporary Chrysler with a J-like radiator shell. Some members of the Duesenberg family were involved, for authenticity. There was a press release and photo in a Newsletter of that era.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
05 Oct 2007 14:02 #8284 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic '59 Duesenberg?
RM sold this for basically the cost of the engine, so buying, swapping engines and reselling should have only cost the price of labor to do the work.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2007 12:09 #8283 by Chris Summers
Haha, I'll never turn down Duesenberg-related photos. Besides, I do look forward to seeing what the car looks like repainted red.

I wonder if Al Ferrara's ever thought of buying it, just to make his Judkins numbers-matching again...

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2007 11:24 #8282 by bill powell
Replied by bill powell on topic '59 D
Well Chris, we can't let you nightmares lose their intensity. I will go over to the shop today and take some fresh photos of the car. I will send them to you via this electronic contraption, in full living color.

We may wind up with that car. It will fit right in with the "Tom Mix" car and the Hank Williams Jr Pontiac.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2007 05:06 #8280 by Chris Summers
I'm sorry...I hope the new owner/s enjoy it and love it, and I love the story about how Mike Kollins kept it nearly until the day he died...but that car is what my nightmares look like.

"Hey, Chris, I got this old Rollston Town Car, and look what I did with it!" *shrieks*

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

More
02 Oct 2007 14:54 #8250 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic '59 Duesenberg?
RM sold this in Arizona last year. Had 53 Packard Caribbean wheel trim and wheels. Looked o.k. from most angles except the front because the hood bulge for the cams looked out of place some how.

• bill powell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Oct 2007 12:05 #8226 by bill powell
This car is in Houston, at a company called Driver Source. It is red now.

It is not a re-bodied J. It is a custom made car, with a forties chassis and the Facel Vega styled sheet metal. It has a modified Duesenberg engine in it, with a four carburetor manifold. The distributor is mounted low on the left side of the block, probably for hood clearance. The chassis oiler pump is gone, with the mounting hole blanked off.

• cbsIII
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2007 01:46 #6382 by cbsIII
Replied by cbsIII on topic '59 Duesenberg?
SEE PG. 2 DUSEY POSTS "KOLLINS" LEGRANDE.There's threads about the rebodied J. Looks like a mid '50 Facel Vega, possible Ferrari visual inspiration, I've seen this car and the level of craftsmanship is very impressive. It's a "'59" that took a while to build, was designed earlier.

"I work for the Auburn Automobile Company. I am not an automobile race car driver although I hold more world speed records than any other man in the world" -Ab Jenkins 1937

• Randy_G
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Feb 2007 23:35 #6379 by Randy_G
'59 Duesenberg? was created by Randy_G
I was looking for an online pic of the elusive '59 Duesenberg proposal car. If anyone has a copy of it could you please post it. I personaly had never heard of this car drawing, one of my readers e-mailed me and ask about it. I am going to the well of endless Duesenberg knowledge and asking you guys. Thanks for any input!