Duesenberg Fantasy Bidding

• Randy_G
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2007 01:21 #6228 by Randy_G
Randy_G replied the topic:
I thought we should at least see what we are bidding on, there are more pictures of this car on the RM Auctions website. I fantasy bid 1.75 Million.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Jan 2007 04:10 #6232 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
This is one of the most overlooked cars because of the horizontal grill work. In the late thirties Olds and Gm used this style and it was always considered by collectors not as pretty as the 36-40 Fords. Times have changed and these models are being gobbled up. I think this body an acquired taste and once you like it, it will be your favorite, as the early GM cars are to me, now there is no comparison on size or quality but it was very modern in its time. Now for price, how much is a clutch bearing for it? In parts alone? And what provenance being the last! Heck, I could not pay the interest on that loan let alone buy the piece. But for someone else another trophy for the stable. Money, well the ball Mark McGuire hit for his 70th home run in 1998 sold for $3 million. A single military missile is a million, I think I will get the digital handshake when it tops the original 4>Mil. Puts it out of my league for now.
http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... CarID=r128
To see Bauers work click this link below,
http://www.weinstein.com/bauer/rudolf-bauer.html
Interesting connection with another owner-
1943 Through Rebay, Frank Lloyd Wright is commissioned to design a museum as a permanent home for the Guggenheim collection. This decision infuriates Bauer who had been led to believe the architect would be a German, perhaps a former Bauhaus instructor, several of whom are living in the United States.
http://www.weinstein.com/bauer/cv_bauer.html
http://www.weinstein.com/bauer/about_bauer.html

More
19 Jan 2007 06:53 #6234 by 1930 Jordan
1930 Jordan replied the topic:
Was this car always in black. I thought it was white or cream at one time. I just love it in black!!!!! I like this one the front has a unique look. Kind of a allusion in making it look longer than it really is. I love the art deco appealing lines of the car. Probably would never fit in my garage, BUT I WOULD SURE TRY TO MAKE IT FIT!!!

1930 Jordan"G" line 90,1953 Plymouth,1951 Chrysler Saratoga,1975 Dart,1974 Schwinn Collgate,1978 Schwinn Continental,1971 Honda 500"4",1973 Honda 350"twin",1975 Honda 500"twin",1955 Norton,1988 Honda Shadow custom,05 crossfire roadster.

• Duesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2007 07:38 #6235 by Duesey
Duesey replied the topic:
I have never seen the Bauer car, but I have heard mixed things about its 'original condition' from very nice to in need of recommissioning. That in mind, I am going to guess the car will sell for $2.1 million. I guess we'll find out later today.

• Chris Summers
  • Chris Summers's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 Jan 2007 16:32 #6238 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:

1930 Jordan wrote: I thought it was white or cream at one time.

The car is represented as having its original paint (and original everything else, for that matter).

The RM catalog leaves out one interesting tidbit: "Presidents on Wheels," by Herbert Ridgeway Collins, mentions that Harry S Truman rode in a 1940 Duesenberg owned by Pettit of Natural Bridge, VA at a Democratic mock convention kick-off parade in the 1950s. He inspected it closely and was very impressed!

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
19 Jan 2007 23:48 #6240 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:
This car has been to Auburn a time or two. Unless the new owner has done something to it (a sin), it is an original car, right down to the luggage and the drip rails under the hood. Mr. Bauer's tastes were unique, the interior is a rather bright shade of purple. I also understand that Mr. Bauer tailored the dimensions to his small frame, so that normal to large people do not really fit it too well. A strange concept on something as large as a J, I know.

While I certainly can't fault the car's styling, if I had my druthers, I prefer the Alan Leamy nose.

Mike
8-100A

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds