Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Jan 2007 01:23 #6124 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Mike,

Thanks for the info I went back and watched the video and compared the shot of it as it stops in front of the mansion with a photo of a 1932 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Convertible Sedan in nearly the exact same position (old Special Interest Autos photo). The two bodies appear almost identical, but then I thought the same thing about the video car and J-494...

The last print mention I found of J-522 lists it as owned by "John P. Hoffman, Ohio Collection, New Bremen, Ohio," probably in the 1980s. Has someone seen the car recently who can fill us in?

P.S. My apologies if Mr. Hoffman is an ACD member listed in the directory. I'm still not a club member, but will be as soon as the 2007 app is up and I can get my check in the mail. :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2007 03:40 #6125 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:
Mr. Hoffman of New Bremen is indeed a member. The 2006 roster lists only one J for him: "SJ518 4 dr.convertible." Roe thought this might have been a LeBaron, but adapted from a Chrysler. It shows a veed windshield in his picture.

Mike
8-100A

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Jan 2007 04:27 #6128 by Chris Summers
The original owner of J-522 and J-518 had two bodies for them, a Murphy Convertible Sedan and a LeBaron Convertible Berline (thanks for the correction, Mike). According to what I've read, the two bodies were swapped back and forth, and today the LeBaron body exists on J-518 (supercharged), owned by Mr. Hoffman.

So if this car doesn't have the vee'd windshield of J-518, could it be J-494? I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but since there wasn't another supercharged LeBaron CB and this doesn't have a vee'd windshield... ???

P.S. The Chrysler in the article has a vee'd windshield, too, with each half crank-out.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Jan 2007 04:32 #6129 by Chris Summers
And after watching that movie 20 or so times, pausing and playing constantly, I want to shoot Mickey Rooney.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

More
09 Jan 2007 04:32 #6144 by paul111
paul111 replied the topic:
I have driven J494 quite a bit and polished it many times and I couldn't tell if the car in the movie was the same one. I can say there are no wheel discs with this car so if it did have discs at one time it does not now.

More
10 Jan 2007 21:43 #6164 by paul111
paul111 replied the topic:
There is no mention of this car belonging to E.F. Hutton on the list of previous owners that was supplied to me by the ACD museum.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds