Skip to main content

Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film

• paul111
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2007 21:43 #6164 by paul111
Replied by paul111 on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
There is no mention of this car belonging to E.F. Hutton on the list of previous owners that was supplied to me by the ACD museum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paul111
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2007 04:32 #6144 by paul111
Replied by paul111 on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
I have driven J494 quite a bit and polished it many times and I couldn't tell if the car in the movie was the same one. I can say there are no wheel discs with this car so if it did have discs at one time it does not now.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 04:32 #6129 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
And after watching that movie 20 or so times, pausing and playing constantly, I want to shoot Mickey Rooney.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 04:27 #6128 by Chris Summers
The original owner of J-522 and J-518 had two bodies for them, a Murphy Convertible Sedan and a LeBaron Convertible Berline (thanks for the correction, Mike). According to what I've read, the two bodies were swapped back and forth, and today the LeBaron body exists on J-518 (supercharged), owned by Mr. Hoffman.

So if this car doesn't have the vee'd windshield of J-518, could it be J-494? I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but since there wasn't another supercharged LeBaron CB and this doesn't have a vee'd windshield... ???

P.S. The Chrysler in the article has a vee'd windshield, too, with each half crank-out.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 03:40 #6125 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
Mr. Hoffman of New Bremen is indeed a member. The 2006 roster lists only one J for him: "SJ518 4 dr.convertible." Roe thought this might have been a LeBaron, but adapted from a Chrysler. It shows a veed windshield in his picture.

Mike
8-100A

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 01:23 #6124 by Chris Summers
Mike,

Thanks for the info I went back and watched the video and compared the shot of it as it stops in front of the mansion with a photo of a 1932 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Convertible Sedan in nearly the exact same position (old Special Interest Autos photo). The two bodies appear almost identical, but then I thought the same thing about the video car and J-494...

The last print mention I found of J-522 lists it as owned by "John P. Hoffman, Ohio Collection, New Bremen, Ohio," probably in the 1980s. Has someone seen the car recently who can fill us in?

P.S. My apologies if Mr. Hoffman is an ACD member listed in the directory. I'm still not a club member, but will be as soon as the 2007 app is up and I can get my check in the mail. :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2007 00:32 #6122 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
Chris,

I agree with you about the LeBaron berline body (as opposed to convt. sedan). However, Fred Roe lists 2 pictures of J494, one in the JL Elbert book: photo # 121 on page 99 (at least in my 1964 reprint, am not going downstairs to look for the original), and on page 193 in his book. Roe lists no photos in either book for J522 which was supposed to be a similar car. Interestingly, both cars were blown originally.

The Elbert picture looks like a LWB version of what appears to be the same body style as your picture, which looks to be SWB. The car pictured on 193 in Roe looks SWB to me, as does the car in the movie clip.

If your photo is really J494, could the one shown in Elbert actually be J522?

Hmmm!

Mike
8-100A

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2007 02:48 #6115 by Chris Summers
If it was a dual cowl it would have had a second windshield mounted on a tonneau cover, connected by hinges to the back of the front seat. The two women seated in the back would have had to lift the tonneau up in order to get out; instead, they just...climb out.

That and the bodyside styling isn't the same as any of the LeBaron, LaGrande, or Murphy DCPs.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Randy_G
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2007 02:24 #6113 by Randy_G
Replied by Randy_G on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
To bad there is not a shot in the short clip shown to see if in fact the car is a dual cowl. Just imagine when this film was shot the mighty Duesenberg was still in production... something to ponder.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2007 01:02 #6097 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film
Thanks, I am much too young to have ever seen Andy Hardy in the theater, but my family loves the films and have caught them all on TCM. Can't believe neither myself nor my college son have not noticed the Duesy in this film. We will look for it next time this film runs on Turner.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2007 23:39 #6092 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Hmmm....
It's one of the supercharged LeBaron Convertible Sedans. The only two cars built with that body that were supercharged were J-494 (E.F. Hutton's car) and J-522. J-522 had a somewhat different body on it, more like a Packard or Chrysler according to Josh Malks's book. So is this car J-494?

P.S. The only difference I could spot between the car in the video and modern photos of J-494: wheels. Video car has discs, modern photos wires.

P.P.S. Whatever it is, it obviously wasn't a dual-cowl!

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2007 04:43 #6084 by Greg Riley
Duesenberg in Andy Hardy film was created by Greg Riley
I saw this on You Tube and thought everyone might find it interesting. The poster asked if this car still exists. Does anyone know which car it is...was?

[url:1m8kv7fq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odspv85Rte0[/url:1m8kv7fq]

Greg Riley