Skip to main content

Leno's New Duesenberg

• twotonessj
  • Registered
More
26 May 2008 00:05 #10200 by twotonessj
Replied by twotonessj on topic Leno's New Duesenberg
Check the above Duesenberg out on www.jaylenosgasrage.com , you'll find that he's sympathetically restored it,

You can have any color you want as long as it's black

Henry Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 May 2008 19:30 #10199 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Leno's New Duesenberg
I believe that, at least in the cases of these two cars, Leno was just persistent enough and, in the case of the Wood car, the only person who offered the parking garage owners a fair amount of money. Supposedly everybody else who had made an offer had quoted $50,000 or something ridiculous like that.

What I DON'T believe is all the mumbo-jumbo of these cars being "lost." Open up Roe's "Pursuit of Perfection" (red edition) to p. 136 and you'll see the Wood car, in precisely the same spot where Leno found it, in the 1970s.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
25 May 2008 18:54 #10198 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Leno's New Duesenberg
I might have already said this somewhere else, but my dad told me a story a long time ago about Bill Harrah. Basically, Bill could buy cars that were not for sale to anyone else in the world because of who he was. I guess many people got a kick out of saying they sold their car to the famous Bill Harrah. The same car would not be for sale to you or I for twice the money. I'm willing to bet that Jay gets a little of the same love once in a while. I don't really have a problem with that. I wouldn't have my Stutz special if it wasn't for my dad's good reputation around town. It does help explain how Jay ends up with some of the coolest stuff.

• carnut
  • Visitor
24 May 2008 23:47 #10194 by carnut
Replied by carnut on topic Leno's New Duesenberg
I have to agree with both Chris and 1930 Jordan. I've found that being cordial and nice will get you much further than "Is that for sale and can I buy it?"

BTW, is it possible to have one day a month where everyone just opens up their garages and barns so those of us who are curious can peek inside as we drive by?

That would be awfully nice of them.... :D

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2006 21:45 #5744 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic *laughs*
Searching for "car-in-the-barn" finds is one of my favorite activities. I'm currently pecking over Roxalana Road in Charleston (WV) for a Corvette that's owner died young and his elderly parents won't sell it. I know, we've all heard that story a million times, but I figure the one time I ignore a tall tale it'll turn out to be true.

My basic rules for searching are to keep your eyes open and peeled, don't be afraid to knock on doors and talk to owners, and be careful when crawling through junkyards. The bad-tempered junkyard dog who sleeps on the most valuable car in the lot (in my case, it was a '64 Buick Riviera) is not a myth.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• 1930 Jordan
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2006 10:45 #5741 by 1930 Jordan
Replied by 1930 Jordan on topic Leno's New Duesenberg
You asked how do they find these things? Well you just have to keep you eyes open in the spring months, and follow up on all the leads that you get about stuff out there. I picked up my1930 "G" Jordan like this with 10 other cars in one package deal! Also you need to approach people with the cars out in the yards and peeking out from the barns, and ask are they for sale. Because you never know. You also have the opportunity that they may tell you of other cars that they know about. I have found a 1925 Packard roadster, L29 Cord 4dr, A Barn FULL of about 20-25 Bentley's and Rolls Royce's (nothing newer than 1932), 1940 Packard,1932 Packard, 1930 V16 Cadillac roadster , 1932 V12 & V16 Cadillacs (both 4dr open), V12 Packard 1933 (open 4dr), and many other cars from the 1950's. All from leads of others or from just stopping and asking. I recently picked up a 1927 model "T" , and the guy had a BOAT LOAD OF STUFF in his garages, I am working on getting (from the same place that the "T" came from) a 1925 Chrysler model "60" 4dr with 34.908 original miles and the car is running, show-able, and all ORIGINAL. All from just asking " WHATS UP WITH THAT CAR ". When the spring comes, I start riding one of my motorcycles and bring a map with me. When I see something that could pan out, I mark on the map where it was and what it was. This helps in the memory department. So get out there this spring and go on a Sunday drive and start shopping! Bring back the day of that glorious Sunday drive.

1930 Jordan"G" line 90,1953 Plymouth,1951 Chrysler Saratoga,1975 Dart,1974 Schwinn Collgate,1978 Schwinn Continental,1971 Honda 500"4",1973 Honda 350"twin",1975 Honda 500"twin",1955 Norton,1988 Honda Shadow custom,05 crossfire roadster.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Nov 2006 16:05 #5738 by Greg Riley
Leno's New Duesenberg was created by Greg Riley
I was surfing around and found this article on Leno's new Duesenberg. Maybe Randy Ema will bring us up to speed on the progress.

It may not be a "car in a barn" story, but it's close. How do they find these things?

oc.fwpublications.com/Default.aspx?tabid...id=1524#1524Articles

Greg Riley