All ACD marques make the 100 COOLEST CAR list

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 Nov 2009 14:57 #15066 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:

sds1861 wrote: Placing a Corvette in front of a Dusenberg, Cord, or Aubun Speedster is like placing a velvet picture of Elvis in front of the Mona Lisa.

And amen.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2009 22:52 #15069 by fyreline
fyreline replied the topic:
Well, I don't know about that. A well-restored or pristine original 1963 Corvette Sting Ray is certainly no "Velvet Elvis". I would say that a Model J Duesenberg is a Rembrandt and a split-window Corvette is an Alexander Calder mobile. Both legitimate art, each one appealing to a different audience. Some can appreciate both.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Nov 2009 23:10 #15070 by
replied the topic:
I was gonna answer like that but I couln't remember how ot spell ludicrous.

I knew a very well known colletor that would have put Elvis in front of the Mona Lisa.

But, the question was 'coolest', not most elegant, or most historically significant, just coolest. On that same google page there were at least two other top 100 lists, and they were all different.

More
17 Nov 2009 23:29 #15071 by sds1861
sds1861 replied the topic:
As I stated, each car is designed to appeal to a particular market segment. The Corvette, for instance, was targeted to a kid with a rich daddy. The Duesenberg, Cord and Auburn Speedster were targeted to the rich daddy himself.
Steve

More
18 Nov 2009 00:40 #15075 by fyreline
fyreline replied the topic:
Not entirely accurate . . . I've owned Corvettes for 35 years, and I've always found plenty of owners in my own age group, whatever that happened to be at the time (including now at age 55). The Corvette was never intended for or marketed to "kids with rich daddys" - this is a common misconception.

The Duesenberg, by contrast, was simply marketed as the very best car ever built. Its cost pretty much guaranteed it exclusivity, but a quick perusal of owner's lists shows that well-heeled folks of all age groups were attracted to it. Not all would qualify as "rich daddys" by any means - although some surely would!

[u:3fdr7uny]Automobile Magazine's [/u:3fdr7uny]"100 Coolest Cars" list (and others like it) are always sure to generate controversy. I just don't want to see cars other than our beloved Auburns, Cords and Duesenbergs unfairly characterized poorly by comparison. A Corvette is no Duesenberg by any means, but then what is? :D

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 Nov 2009 01:34 #15077 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
My interest in cars was sparked on its own, but a ride as a toddler in my grandfather's Corvette "sealed the deal." I was raised a Corvette kid, and now I'm a Corvette man.

I think the Velvet Elvis/Mona Lisa comparison was in reference to the ACD cars being works of art, and the Corvette being a brutal performance machine. Someone, I can't remember who, once described the Shelby Cobra as "a big hammer built for a specific purpose." That's how I think of Corvettes. Unlike ACD cars, which often combined luxury and performance, a Corvette is about performance that will, as a friend says, "flatten your eyeballs." Period.

I love them both. Actually, I know a few ACD guys who enjoy Corvettes. Must be something there...

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds