All ACD marques make the 100 COOLEST CAR list

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Nov 2009 11:58 #15081 by
replied the topic:
Car and Driver magazine used to have and annual car comparison, similar to car of the year, but all the cars made had to compete.

For ten years in a row, based on all criteria, such as performance, mileage, creature comforts, etc....................

'The car that won best buy for your dollar in the world, for ten years in a row, was the Corvette.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
18 Nov 2009 14:28 #15084 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: CORD - CORVETTE
It's interesting reading about the ACD & Corvette comparisons. It's no wonder why this cousin to the Corvette was being considered as a "Cord 2".

This concept car was sent to Cordhaven, E. L. Cord's home in Beverly Hills. GM offered it as a potential conadidate for the rebirth of Cord. It stayed in pieces in boxes and nothing was done with it. I always was told it was a Corvette.

So you guys are not the only ones debating which one is the "coolest". They almost became one and the same!

OLDS F-88 CONCEPT CAR

More
18 Nov 2009 23:48 #15087 by fyreline
fyreline replied the topic:
Yep - the story of the "dream car in a box" was quite popular on all the Corvette forums. And Chris is right, there's a lot of overlap between Corvette lovers and ACD enthusiasts. I remember a lot of the Corvette forum topics about the E.L. Cord Oldsmobile F-88 containing quite a bit of ACD information - it's pretty obvious that lovers of great automobiles tend to flock together. :D

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
19 Nov 2009 00:33 #15088 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:

bubbabill wrote: 'The car that won best buy for your dollar in the world, for ten years in a row, was the Corvette.

When you consider that the current base model has performance close to that of a 10-year-old Ferrari, for about $50,000, and the ZR1 provides performance close to a CURRENT Ferrari for about $100,000...it's still value for your money.

Most impressively, it's gone through 56 years of production, and although there have been highs and lows, it's still a car that its makers and the American auto industry as a whole can be proud of.

Bill, didn't you mention once playing on the F-88 crates in your grandfather's garage?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
More
19 Nov 2009 02:38 #15089 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: F-88
I don't remember playing on the crates, but I was aware of them. On several occassions I was gently admonished to quit sticking my nose into them.

I was too young to know what I was looking at. My dad and several of my uncles did not know the full story of the parts, so I was told that it was a Corvette.

Now, the obvious question was WHY was there a Corvette in a box in the corner of a garage? Little did I know that it would take over 40 years to find out the answer.

My Grandfather didn't say too much to us about the cars for several reasons:

1) He was into politics and other business interests at the time.

2) He was concerned that his grandchildren would not be too interested in cars that had been out of production for 30 years.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Nov 2009 12:02 #15093 by
replied the topic:
Pontiac had a version of that car, powered by a flathead straight eight with about a million carburetors. I think their were a coupld of the Pontiacs.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds