Auburn Coast 2 Coast 2011

More
25 May 2011 12:34 #20155 by mdsbob
mdsbob replied the topic: Re: Auburn Coast 2 Coast 2011

jhcarlady wrote: ...and on to look at an auction in Nebraska {Mike is looking for a 40+ hp, Brass era (1910-12) car}.

OK...Inquiring minds want to know...I see you are traveling NE...Was Mike successful in his brass car quest???

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
25 May 2011 13:51 #20156 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: auburn coast 2 coast
We did not end up going to the auction in NE. From the information he had on the car, he could tell it was not what he wanted. We did look at a couple cars that are for sale. Nothing yet.....

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
26 May 2011 01:01 #20165 by jhcarlady

Beautiful restored gas station

This was the view on the road ahead.

Who knew, changing your oil is a spectator sport!

Storm clouds are brewing. I lost my maps here; they must have fallen out of the car when I went to take the picture. It started to rain soon after we left this site.
We had a wonderful visit with Jonathan (Jack) Richards last evening, while it stormed outside. Blackie was parked under the awning to protect him from the possible hail.
This morning, we left a little later than usual. It was cool but clear when we started. Forecast was for thunder storms ahead, so the top was up..
Not far down the road is the beautiful restored gas station pictured above. We took pictures of ?Blue Boy? by the same station, when we were here a couple years ago. Not far down the road from there, the wind picked up and it looked like a dust storm ahead. As we neared, the ground was too wet to be blowing around, but the visability was only about a ? mile. It was not raining. We figured we must be traveling through a low lying cloud, or a strange fog.
Around 11:15, we passed a Shamrock Auto Parts store, and Mike decided he would like to change the oil. While he went in and checked if they would take his used oil, a crowd of onlookers gathered around the car. I was holding court, and handing out the last of our cards, when Mike walked out of the building with his oil in tow. Apparently, this was big entertainment, because the group stayed to watch the whole procedure.
The sky continued to get dark and angry looking. As we neared Burlington, IA, we decided to call it a day. We drove into a hotel and parked under the protection of the hotel awning. As soon as we had checked into the hotel and got our bags inside, the sirens went off; we were under a tornado warning.
We waited until the warning lifted and walked next door to a restaurant.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 May 2011 02:15 #20173 by jhcarlady
We saw this truck in a gas station yesterday. This is a State of Iowa inspection truck. He is testing to see that you get what you pay for at the station. He collects 5 gallon of each grade of gas. There are 231 cu .in. per gallon. The collected gas must be within 5 cu. In. per each 5 gallons collected.

Today was a no picture day. It was cold, rainy, and we are both ready to get home. We travelled with the top and side curtains up and ended the day in Valparaiso, IN. We should be home tomorrow.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 May 2011 21:53 #20175 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Auburn coast 2 coast
Y A A H , W E A R E H O M E !!! We are so glad to be back home! Even though we have lots to catch up, it feels great to be able to sit in my chair in my nice warm house. I picked up the mail from the post office....2 boxes full, while Mike mowed the lawn.

I will post pictures later showing what was packed . I will also give a detailed account of our expenses.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

More
28 May 2011 18:33 #20178 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic:
Hi,

[size=200:2sk9gz8o]WELCOME HOME TO MICHIGAN !! [/size:2sk9gz8o]

I cannot tell you how MUCH I have enjoyed following your exploits! You made me feel as if I were traveling along with you.

When's our next trip? And where?

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds