L29 trip to California

More
14 May 2009 15:41 #13487 by acdclubadmin
acdclubadmin replied the topic: Day 33, Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Posted for Joan Huffman by Administrator

Day 33, Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Today, we got a late start, we sat in the breakfast room at the hotel and talked until 10, then we went out to the parking lot and talked some more. We drove east to Creston, IA where there is a wonderfully restored old gas station. We took a few pictures and continued east, stopping at Osceola, IA. Jay and Shawn drove along with us and stopped with us for lunch. We got a little more car talk in, and then we were on our way. We drove east through most of the remainder of Iowa, stopping at Mt Pleasant, IA for the night.

I can?t tell you enough what a great trip this has been. We have met and gotten to know many wonderful club members throughout. Mike has learned so much about his car and has picked up many new ideas for improvements. The hospitality everyone has shown us has been over whelming.

Mike just lubed the CV joints again. He has seen the results of insufficient lubing and doesn?t want to go there again. We have now traveled a total of 6227 miles on this trip.

Totals as of 5/12/09
Gallons Gas food hotels misc
515.452 1170.68 999.84 2287.58 346.5

Overall gas mileage 12.08 mpg

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2009 15:47 #13489 by acdclubadmin
acdclubadmin replied the topic: Day 34, Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Posted for Joan Huffman by Administrator

Day 34, Wednesday, May 13, 2009

We started this morning in the rain, and it continued most of the day. We began by driving Southeast to Keokuk, IO. We crossed the Mississippi River into Illinois and set the Garmin to avoid highways. I figured she would just follow 136 across to Urbana?NO! We traveled the little roads that don?t even show on the map. Occasionally, I would figure out where we were, and even though it was a pleasant drive in the right direction, we were making many turns and stops and starts. We stopped for lunch at a Subway in Havana, IL.

After lunch, we decided to reset the Garmin, this time she lead us to 136 and eventually Urbana. We visited Allen Strong at possibly the worst possible time. He has several restaurants, and this is graduation weekend in Urbana. Also, he was expecting a bus tour from Chicago to stop and see his car collection, and to top it off, it rained 3? in 20 minutes, flooding his offices. Despite this, he was very gracious to meet with us, show us his collection, and treat us to sodas at his restaurant. He has some beautiful Packards, and ACD cars among others, and a great showroom to house them.

After leaving Allen, we decided to drive a little further before stopping for the night. As we were driving, a car following us signaled for us to stop. He got out and talked to Mike about a box he had with water pump packings. We followed him a short distance to his home and he got a box with a bunch of different car related stuff and offered to sell the contents to Mike for $25 and a picture with Mike?s car. A deal was made! The problem was fitting it in the car. I just held onto it until we got to our hotel.

We ended the night is Watseka, IL.; and we walked across the street for dinner. There is a tornado watch out for this area tonight.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
14 May 2009 18:09 #13494 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
I enjoyed my visit to Iowa (which also included a wonderful meal and long conversation with Jack Richards) three years ago, and would very much like to return sometime. Osceola is a beautiful city and hasn't changed much since the 1960s.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
15 May 2009 00:43 #13495 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: L29 trip to CA and back
Note the fancy lock downs on my daughters wheels pictured above. I have seen similar used on ACD cars...notably CORDS. Lori learned this trick in Mexico, to keep her hubcaps from being stolen!!!

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
15 May 2009 01:11 #13497 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: L29 trip to CA and Back
Day 35, Thursday, May 14, 2009

For all you doubters, we are nearly finished with our trip back to Auburn, and we can still stand each other and we are ready to continue to the East Coast Meet. Tomorrow, we should be in Auburn around 1 at the Museum. We have a couple things we have to do first: Mike wants to go to Jan Appenzeller?s in Milford, IN to have a wheel trued, and I need to go to the AAA in Fort Wayne to pick up some maps for the trip east.

Today we drove to Warsaw, IN. As we entered IN there were fields full of windmills. We drove across 24 to Logansport, then angled NW on 25 toward Warsaw. There were many little towns along the way with slower speed limits and traffic lights. When we got to Mentone, where there was a detour. We started taking the detour then decided to let the Garmin lead the way; we found out why the detour occurred. Wind had torn down a couple of barns and taken down a few power lines. We drove just to the side of the barn wreckage.

We made our way to Grace Village to see Mike?s Mom by 2 PM. I showed her the pictures of the trip and we had supper together.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 May 2009 02:05 #13504 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving L29 to CA and back
Day 36, Friday, May 15, 2009

We are here! It has been a fun and exciting adventure! We drove this morning over to Milford to Jan Appenzeller?s shop and Mike got his wheel balanced. (Woops, I got that wrong in yesterday?s post) Jan has an L-29 hub mounted on his balancing machine so it was a short process and we were back on the road. We continue north on 15 to 6 and then went east to Auburn. We arrived at the museum around 10:30 AM.

The ACD museum entrance is completed and looks great! We were early for our scheduled homecoming so we took a look at the gift shop, then went upstairs and talked to Matt Short and Laura Brinkman. Mike talked to Jon Bill. It seems like a lot of people have been following our trip.

Troy Ackerman and his son came into the museum and joined us for lunch at the
Town Tavern. Jack and Lucy Laughlin were there already. Kerri Ackerman joined us for lunch, and a few minutes later, Pat Leahy joined the group. At 1, we met with Dave Kurtz of The News Sun. He met with us and did an article when we left and now again on our homecoming. We checked into our hotel and Mike changed the oil. Karen and Ray Parker came over with a wonderful home baked fruit bar, and we went for supper and had a great evening. We have really looked forward to sharing our adventures and are grateful that everything went well. Thanks to everyone who came to welcome us home! I also want to thank everyone that met with us on the trip. Your hospitality exceeded our expectations and made our trip so much more memorable.

Tomorrow is Mike?s 62nd Birthday. We will start a new adventure ? on to the East Coast meet. Mike will have to sleep in though, because we have to pick up some drugs at the pharmacy before we leave, they don?t open until 9.

Final expenses were:

559.79 G. of Gas @ $1273.23
Food expense ??. $1050.72
Hotels?????.. $2583.96
Misc. ?????.. $384.47
$5292.38

We have traveled roughly 7000 miles
Approximately 12 mpg

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds