• ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Apr 2009 03:16 #13352 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving old cars
Thanks Joel,
Mike cruises nicely at 55 - 60 MPH.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2009 10:19 #13363 by K Clark
K Clark replied the topic: speed
Joan
Is that as the speedometer reads, or is it what the gps tells you . Also what rpm are you running at 55 mph. While we are asking questions I have been asked what are you getting for fuel mileage. My white car gets about 10 mpg My 30 Packard 745 gets 9 . I notice you fill up at almost every gas station. You see I keep talking to the guys at the breakfast table about your trip
With your daily diary it to is like I'm there. keep it up. I look foreword to reading every day.
If a broken spoke and a starter spring are all, what a wonderful 80 year car
Ken Clark

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 Apr 2009 14:27 #13364 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving acd cars
Speed is from speedometer...gps says 5mph slower
gas mileage is approximately 11...its hard to determine because odometer is probably off 5 too.
Yes...It's a car show where ever we are.
Mike doesn't fill up full at every station, he just puts gas in. The gauge is not real accurate, and the gas stations can be far apart.
Mike got the starter apart and is putting it back together as I write.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• paul w taylor
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2009 16:33 #13367 by paul w taylor
paul w taylor replied the topic:
Hi Joan & Mike, It was so great meeting you on Monday. If you are in our area again on Wed or Thrus. let us know if you have time. We will be home on Wed. evening. Blessings, Paul & Joan

• Greg Frownfelter
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
29 Apr 2009 23:59 #13372 by Greg Frownfelter
Greg Frownfelter replied the topic:
it is really great to hear your continuing stories
a trip to a local NAPA store should yeild a spare starter spring
wish you good luck
greg

• jhcarlady
  • jhcarlady's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
30 Apr 2009 03:02 #13378 by jhcarlady
jhcarlady replied the topic: Driving ACD Cars
Day 20 ? Wednesday, April 29, 2009

This morning began early with a call to Ken Clark. ?How does this Bendix come apart? I?ve done it before, and it seems like it just fell apart? ?It does just fall apart?
And it did after struggling with it for a while longer. Ken offered to send one, overnight, but it wasn?t necessary. Thanks Ken! After that all went smoothly. The installation was while all the arm chair mechanics were out to ask ?What are you doing?? Job done, we packed up and are off.

We decided not to go to the aquarium. Instead, we went north to Walmart to pick up a few things we were low on, sunblock and paper towels. After our shopping trip, (It?s now about 11 AM.) we were off to the Hearst Castle. We drove south on highway 1. It was such a beautiful drive last time that we just had to catch it from the other direction. This time the sun was warm and the wind was not so cold. (probably 60?s) Traffic was a little less, and we didn?t make as many photo stops.

After a quick stop for lunch, we got to the castle around 2 PM and signed up for the 2:40 PM tour. We went on tour 1, the recommended tour for first timers; the main floor, 3 pools, and guest house. There are 4 different tours to choose from. Ours was about a 45 minute tour followed by a 15 minute video. Hearst at one time owned an area about 300 miles by 300 miles, and fifty miles of ocean frontage. Wow! Our tour only touched the surface! It?s now a little after five.

We drove about 3 miles south on highway 1 to San Simeon and got a hotel. Across the street was a restaurant for supper. The sun has gone down and the wind has come up. It?s cold again (40?s).

The car is running great again. Tomorrow, we are heading west toward Sequoia National Park. We are going to miss Yosemite this trip.

GAS
8.284 3.709 $ 30.73 Ragged Point End, CA
FOOD
Ragged Point $ 6.01
Best Western Cavallier $ 49.19
OTHER
PO Monterey, CA 0.42
Walmart 58.21
Hearst Castle 40.00
Courtesy Inn, San Simeon, CA 54.45

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds