New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2014 17:04 #27014 by
I don't how many of you are aware of it but Tucker used left over Cord transmissions when he built his cars, electric hand shifter and all.
that makes the Tucker eligible for this thread.

The summer of about 2008 the NASA museum set up a display honoring a movie producer/director, and since one of his moves was Tucker they wanted to borrow our Tucker for the summer.

There a number of reasons a Cord will not shift properly. Old age is one, vacuum leaks, ignorant or lazy restoration, incorrect electrics, or sitting too long after a good restoration.

We had a beautifully done car, from Bob Pass, done in a dark blue. When we were getting ready to take the car to NASA it decided not to shift. " Hell no, I aint gonna do it," it says. Time would not allow us to trouble shoot and repair it, so I pulled out the rear seat and the access panel to the engine compartment. While my buddy drove the Tucker out of the trailer and into the building I was on my knees in the back seat area with a crescent wrench and pliers, shifting the transmission as he needed it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2020 20:54 - 25 Feb 2020 20:57 #39581 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????
As far as the Tucker is concerned, isn't that the way everybody drives them? On Cords, I had to drive my dad's car about 10 miles today in nice cool weather here in Mass. The 50 year old stained top is being replaced. Considering the car has a total of about 200 miles on it in the last 45 years or so I would say it ran great. Reading this thread, I think I was down shifting in to first a little early and was getting a clunk. I think the suggestion is to move the lever just as you are rolling to a stop? I knew not to let it idle in neutral, and I agree that they are GREAT cars to drive. My other question, the temp gauge was not easy for me to read while driving, but it inched up the whole ride, finally getting pretty close to the top. I started to get mildly worried about overheating, but when I reached my destination, the top of the radiator was not so hot that I couldn't put my hand on it. I can't believe the motor was the 200 degrees that gauge was showing. Does anyone have any thoughts on the accuracy of the temp gauge?
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Feb 2020 20:57 by alsancle.

More
26 Feb 2020 00:50 #39584 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????
The way I’ve always shifted into first when the car is moving is while braking to a stop, depress the clutch and shift first into neutral keeping the clutch depressed and then when the cord is almost stopped and when the front wheels are making their last 1/2 turn revolution, I then shift into first.
Only way to check if your temp gauge is accurate is to check the temp in the radiator with a thermometer and see if it’s close to what the gauge reads. Many of the cord temperature gauges are not calibrated correctly if they have been rebuilt.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
26 Feb 2020 04:48 #39587 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????
A infrared heat gun is your friend and not very expensive anymore. But I still prefer the thermometer in the rad. Infrared is good if you are trying to diagnose a heat problem. If the weather is cool as you said you probably have a heat problem if it is 200.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
26 Feb 2020 13:29 #39588 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????
Thanks guys. I have a heat gun, and will give that a try, but the idea of a thermometer in the radiator seems more accurate. I was surprised I could lay my hand on the upper water tank with the temp gauge pegged.

Will also try shifting to neutral before going to first coming to a stop.

More
26 Feb 2020 15:02 #39589 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic WHAT ARE YOUR CORD DRIVING EXPERIENCES????
I should have also mentioned that when I move the shift lever to neutral, I then move the lever all the way over to the left so it moves the cross shift all the way to the drivers side of transmission so that when the front wheels are making their last half turn, I only have to drop the shift lever into down into first for a smooth and quiet shift.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds