• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
31 Dec 2005 19:33 #4174 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Lockheed Model 10E Special
re: Honorable Madame President, :D

That is so very interesting that you were able to walk in her footsteps in Ireland. Years ago the Amelia Earhart story was told to us as elementary students before we could read. We were told stories of her adventures as we rode the yellow school bus.
Long before we had ever seen Cord grillwork. Somehow she accomplished these daring feats of flight when women stayed at home cookin. Few women had outside jobs and certainly before women worked on cars and actually drove themselves.
I checked out some of the new recovery site info you mentioned, from what I can make out is she landed in the water, out of fuel, and found herself stranded on the little island, a little coral atoll. Here the Japanese forces held her as a spy. They team recovery agents then went on to say she was summarily executed and buried.
The recovery team found a piece of wreckage near the atoll that was documented as her type of aircraft and also a size 8 buster Brown loafer, buried, like the ones she was known to wear. What other reason could this 1930?s vintage shoe be on this remote island?
So there is no real evidence of her disappearance site, but, if she had lived, I am sure she would have had an even bigger impact on our lives.
She may have even used her Buster Browns to press the clutch, brake and accelerator controls of her Cord car again. It had to be a much better car than a Kissel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
More
01 Jan 2006 00:04 #4175 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: Amelia's Cord
According to Ray Foster who lives in Plano Texas near me, he owns Amelia's Phaeton. He said pipes were previously added to it and the original engine is in another Phaeton that he also owns.

I guess you have to look at both cars to see the entire Earhart car now.

• balinwire
More
01 Jan 2006 14:12 #4176 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Amelia's Cord
Hi Bill,
There was some info in on the two AE related cars you mentioned in a recent newsletter. The story of how the AE car was separated and repatriated is fascinating. It is wonderful that car still exists and shows how the Cord car was, <hers and a lot of Cords to get in this condition> not appreciated in the past. This car is truly of historical significance and there should be a place reserved in the Smithsonian, directly next to her plane for it.
It is at least safe for the moment and I am anticipating the completion of the Phaeton, the one she actually drove.
Any more pictures or stories of her car or people that might have seen her or interesting tidbits anyone?
I understand the car that Tom Mix drove still survives and has been restored, from the crash pictures it did not look to terribly damaged.
Are there any more celebrity provenance ACD cars surviving that would be interesting to discuss? Did tire magnate Harvey Firestone drive one? Any others?

More
01 Jan 2006 17:48 #4178 by larrycthomas
larrycthomas replied the topic: Amelia's car
bailinwire,
I am presently working on restoring Gordon Buehrig's Cord which he purchased in August,1937. The record's from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicle's show both Amelia and Gordon as the original owners of their respective vehicles.
Larry Thomas

• balinwire
More
01 Jan 2006 19:25 #4179 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Hi Larry,
That is fantastic you are repairing the Gordon Buehrig Cord. Keep us informed on your progress with some photos.
Do you have photocopies of the original Indiana ownership records for us to see? That would be interesting to see.
Maybe all these famous cars will be together again on display in the Auburn museum someday for a temporary exhibit.
Discussing the ?Every Inch a Car? the ?Kissle? also ?Kissle Kar? made me interested in its styling, took a while but I found an image, there is quite a bit of scattered data but it seems to have had a Lycoming eight in 1924 in six or eight and hydraulic brakes.
The company went kaput around 1931 but maybe not such a bad car after all. From this drawing it seems to lack running boards on this 1925 straight-eight Speedster. Imagine the Kissle in Canary Yellow.

• Josh Malks
More
01 Jan 2006 20:20 #4180 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Amelia owned a KISSEL, not a KISSLE. Different brand. Here's the Kissel Gold Bug of 1923.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds