• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
01 Jan 2006 23:43 #4182 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Kissel Gold Bug 1923
Hey Josh,
Forgive my spelling mistake, Hoilday mush. The drawing of the Kissel was 1925 was correct.
Kissel USA 1906-1931/ Hartford Wisconsin, rummaging through records, the Kissel is alphabetically right after the King Midget/USA, 1946-1969, the Kingbury Junior/England 1920-1927 and right before the Kitto/USA/1903 and the Klaus/ France1894-1899.
Holidays make the few gears I still got grind, sorry.
From what I can determine the line had a chrome yellow line of models that started when Conover T. Silver developed a ?Silver Special Speedster Six?. The ?Custom-built Speedster? of 1919 was a development of this.
Painted chrome yellow, it was named ?Gold Bug? as the result of a $5 contest in the Milwaukee Journal, whose editor owned one of these models.
This yellow must have had a persisted popularity, continuing several years. Probably in response to so many black vehicles and as we know EL sold his inventory by changing colors. Not only yellow but remember the red wheeled Cords we have discussed earlier, a type of Roaring Twenty?s Bling .
There were Kissel ?Custom-built? tourings, ?Urban-sedans?, ?Coach-sedans? and coupes, too.
In 1929 came the ?WhiteEagle? speedster.
Plans to revive Kissel to build a Lever-engined car in 1933 came to nothing.
That color photo of the 1923 ?Gold Bug? is a perfect picture of what Amelia?s car must have looked like, thanks, balin?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • balinwire's Avatar Topic Author
More
03 Jan 2006 19:13 #4185 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: newspaper clippings
I scanned these clippings that might be of interest,
Front page

One of last photos in Calcutta

Nice Portrait of AE

Husband, George Putnam at wireless

Hows this for a shop motto,

YOU BROKE IT,
I can fix it,
If I can't fix it, then I'll replace it.
If I can't replace it, then I'll make one.
If I can't make one, then I'll invent a substitute.
If I can't invent a substitute, then You Don't Need It!

More
23 Dec 2006 00:18 #5996 by Lee
Lee replied the topic: The North Hollywood connection
Just an FYI; when I was a preteen in North Hollywood, the library there was named for Amelia Earhart. It has memorabilia in it. I drove by the last time I was in LA and it all that was still there. Evidently she use to go to that library.

Lee

think driver; look at others

More
23 Dec 2006 00:30 #5997 by Lee
Lee replied the topic: Browsing the web, here is a picture of Ameia' Cord and Plane

think driver; look at others

More
19 Aug 2007 06:41 #7775 by 1930 Jordan
1930 Jordan replied the topic:
balinewire in your question on "did Harvey Firestone have one?" I have an apartment where I work, and it is a three flat. The guy on the top floor is a great grand son of Harvey Firestone. I have been meaning to ask him if he has any photos or any info about any cars that he may have had. I gave him a photo of Harvey with the racing Duzy. From Adler's book. He just loved that one.I will try to ask him this week for some info. Also if you go to the Rickenbacker Car Club web sight, there is a link for EMF Car Club. They have a photo of the only enclosed 1911 or 1912 EMF made and it was bought buy Harvey when new. Just thought you would like to know. I will post any info that I may get.

1930 Jordan"G" line 90,1953 Plymouth,1951 Chrysler Saratoga,1975 Dart,1974 Schwinn Collgate,1978 Schwinn Continental,1971 Honda 500"4",1973 Honda 350"twin",1975 Honda 500"twin",1955 Norton,1988 Honda Shadow custom,05 crossfire roadster.

• Greg Riley
More
25 Sep 2007 03:45 #8127 by Greg Riley
Greg Riley replied the topic: Amelia Photos
My dad was stationed in Hawaii at the time of her last flight. My mother has quote a few photos he took of the plane just before take off. I'll see if she will let me borrow them to scan and post. These particular photos have never been seen outside of the family, and in fact I haven't seen them in years. I've spent years researching in libraries and universities. Maybe I oughta see what he have!!
G

Greg Riley

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds