Skip to main content

Setting the caster on an L29?

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2022 05:57 #44667 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Setting the caster on an L29?
There is a rubber cushion in there that is probably breaking down and falling apart. They can be bought at Steele rubber. Replace both sides.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2022 06:41 - 24 Dec 2022 10:26 #44657 by pauly
Replied by pauly on topic Setting the caster on an L29?
Hello, I also re-measured & there was no change in the caster. But I have noticed that a substance that looked like oakum had come out of the pocket surrounding the front tip of the main leaf. ometv   Learn More
Last edit: 24 Dec 2022 10:26 by pauly.

More
16 Dec 2019 23:16 #39068 by ARSO
Replied by ARSO on topic Setting the caster on an L29?
Hi, I measured the caster and found it to be way negative. So I loosened the lower spring clamps and turned the adjusters to move the lower springs forward. After moving the spring 3/8", I re-measured and there was no change in the caster, but I noticed that a substance that looks like oakum had come out of the pocket surrounding the front tip of the main leaf. What is that stuff, and what is going on? If anyone wants to phone me rather than type, my # is 612-221-oh-nine-one-oh
emi calculator gst login ifsc code

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2019 15:46 - 08 Jun 2019 15:49 #37399 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Setting the caster on an L29?
I talked to Ken Clark about this and got it figured out. There is a rubber bushing around the front of each spring. If that rubber is deteriorated, it will be impossible to set the caster. what I saw coming out of that spring pocket that looked like oakum, is actually deteriorated rubber. Steele rubber products makes replacement rubber bushings. So it looks like that is the route I will be going

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img
Last edit: 08 Jun 2019 15:49 by Joel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2019 02:25 #37385 by Joel
Setting the caster on an L29? was created by Joel
Hi, I measured the caster and found it to be way negative. So I loosened the lower spring clamps and turned the adjusters to move the lower springs forward. After moving the spring 3/8", I re-measured and there was no change in the caster, but I noticed that a substance that looks like oakum had come out of the pocket surrounding the front tip of the main leaf. What is that stuff, and what is going on? If anyone wants to phone me rather than type, my # is 612-221-oh-nine-one-oh

Thanks, Joel.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img